Two wasp nests - DIY or professionals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I like to try and tackle most things myself, but not sure about this one...

NEST #1 - with all the hot weather I had to succumb to getting the hose pipes out for the first time this year, when I was met with a surprise

Wasps Nest in Hose Bin 01.jpg

I'd say it is about the size of a grapefruit. Quite an easy target to hit and run! I've no idea though whether a nest that size will have a lot of wasps or not.

NEST #2 - The second one is a trickier number:

IMG_20210717_120936763.jpg

The nest can't be seen in the loft. In the bedroom, I'm doing some renovation work and can see into the void where the wall meets the ceiling. I can hear a quiet buzz, but cannot see it from there either. so not sure of the exact location. What I have noticed is dead wasps on the bedroom windowsill; around several wasps a day. Not sure why they're dying, but then don't know a great deal about them so...

Is it time for the professionals? Or should I put on several layers of clothing and a tin hat? If DIYing, for NEST #2 the only thing I can think is blasting what ever is to be used through the hole and hoping for the best.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I used a can of wasp nest killer, Covers the nest in foam which kills everything inside.

Try Ant powder on the first one.

You know, you could just leave them be, they will leave before too long.

People want to save bees because they think they are pollinators and good but Wasp's are even better pollinators than bees, it's just that they get more pi$$ed off if disturbed.

Sponsored Links
You know, you could just leave them be, they will leave before too long.

People want to save bees because they think they are pollinators and good but Wasp's are even better pollinators than bees, it's just that they get more pi$$ed off if disturbed.

^this

On the odd occasion where they start building a nest somewhere in the way (like a shed) I will knock it off with a stick and leg it.

They say wasps never reuse an old nest, so if you leave one there they wont go back to it next year.

I dont think leaving it there is an option for the one on the hose.

Shame really - they are interesting things to examine "next year" - children find them fascinating.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

My partner is allergic so decided best not to take any risks.

We got a pro in today for the house nest; not least of all because it cannot be seen, is inaccessible, and would require working from a ladder. Plus, as it can't be seen, I've no idea what size it is.

Having called a few pest controllers, prices ranged from £45 to £100. Guess which one I went for??!

The hose bin nest we didn't have him eradicate because money's too tight to mention (as the song goes). My preference would be to leave it completely, but my fear is that as it grows and grows, more wasps will be around in the garden, and as it gets later in the season they'll be swapping their nest building activities for annoying humans shenanigans. And be angrier too / drunker from rotten fruit etc. I guess more queens will emerge from it too and hibernate locally ready for next season. So going to do that one myself...

...at night

...from a distance

...with my running shoes on!

Really appreciate all the helpful replies.

Cheers

Ant powder is less than £2 at Asda.
Get some of that, (it has the magic ingredient in it that the pro's use) spread it around the nest especially at any holes in it (entrances) and your problem will be resolved within hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back