Two way lighting mistake

No.

But if you could run a cable from the new switch to the light then you could have 2-way switching using the T&E link:

Both this and borrowed line would mean the supply and return are not following the same path, although not banned it would mean high chance of interference with hearing aids and the like. It should be avoided if possible.
two-way-real.bmp
the rings show the three cables, you will note with the triple and earth the brown is permanent line so it can in DC theory be taken from any other permanent line supply from the same protective device, if not from same protective device it is classed as a borrowed neutral even though you have borrowed the line.

Sponsored Links
Several manufacturers do master and slave switches that only require 2 wires to the slave switch, though I can only see dimmer versions from the quick look I had. Might be another option.

The cables were run through a bit of stud wall to get to original switch, which involved a few strategic holes, then along quite a long wall in the zone below the ceiling which now has coving fitted. The second switch was a last minute afterthought, hence the lack of research. It isn't essential and definitely not worth redoing the decoration work already done.
I'll look at the switches suggested by Echo, other than that we will make do with just one light on a two-way

Sponsored Links
I'll look at the switches suggested by Echo, other than that we will make do with just one light on a two-way

They're essentially the same thing already recommended by me (Fibaro) and another poster (linked to a remote switching device on tlc direct I think) - an intelligent lighting control device that is activated from the remote switch using a two wire "push to make" style switching. Does seem to be slightly cheaper than other systems suggested, but you'll still probably be looking at around 50 quid per circuit as they seem to advocate that you have to buy their switch for every switching point, whereas with the other suggestions, you use cheap normal switches and one expensive module. Personally I think smart lighting is worth it, but I'm really pleased with my intelligent lighting install; especially being able to turn all house lights off with one tap on an app button, after climbing into bed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back