Type of adaptor that connects a wastepipe to a CI stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me the name or, better still, a link to the type of adaptor that allows for a plastic wastepipe (32, 40 or 50mm) to be connected to a cast iron soil stack. I have seen these before but cannot remember who manufactures them and have not been able to google anything resembling this item. They have a rubber seal on the inside and a plastic serated strap either side which pass through a connecting piece and then into a round plastic nut for tightening.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
??? :confused: Not seen that one.
Try googling McAlpine, Timesaver, Fernco.
Terrain do one that sounds like you're decribing, but it's for plastic stacks.

@ChrisR Fernco have some useful stuff that I need but not the adaptor I'm after. Same goes for the other three - Terrain seem only to do a solvent weld type. Thanks for the info, though.

@looneyfitter To check out their products Buildcenter require all but a blood sample, but their nearest branch is not that fasr away so I'll give them a visit on Monday. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
JUst measure the OD of the cast, pop down there and im pretty sure they will sort you out. If not, Drain center definately will..
#

Thankyouplease :D

Drain center is better ;) we`ve got the lot -drain, build ,Trav.Perkins,Independant Build. and independant wood . in this town and yet they all try and sell each others stuff :rolleyes:

if its 4 inch cast just use a normal strap boss, silicone rather than glue obviously. drill on slow speed with your tank cutter otherwise it wont cut.

Seen lots of plastic strap bosses used on Cast Iron. Tried it myself a few times.
Never seen one NOT leak after the CI has rusted a bit a couple of years down the line. Silicone doesn't seem to last on these.

ive done several over the years without an issue, always apply couple of good coats of paint after.

Plastic strap on fitted to a cast. Well professional that one :rolleyes:

Use a timesaver branch and 2 collars.

Worked for me in `73 ( I was an apprentice doing foreigners ) and it worked until about 8 years ago - with no marks down the soil from leaks :LOL: :LOL: - I used to drive past the house regularly and glance @ it . Hemp Grommet and Boss White . But then I`m only a non gas old bodger after all :LOL: :LOL: PS 8 years ago the whole lot was renewed by someone else ;)

Around that time too Nige i had a basin to fit as a homer.
Following the advice from my journeyman, I cut a hole in the stack with a hammer and chisel, (any decent plumber will know how to do that one), tapped an 1 1/4" thead on it and screwed in a male iron with a hemp grommet. No such thing as silicone then.
That one is still there too.

Around that time too Nige i had a basin to fit as a homer.
Following the advice from my journeyman, I cut a hole in the stack with a hammer and chisel, (any decent plumber will know how to do that one), tapped an 1 1/4" thead on it and screwed in a male iron with a hemp grommet. No such thing as silicone then.
That one is still there too.

IM no plumber but a heating engineer. But how the hell do youcut a hole in cast with a hammer and chisel? Does it not crack? And yes i know we used to use cast heating pipes corked etc...

Just interested... Loads of old trades/methods dying out. Shame

Normally after telling you this i would have to kill you :LOL:

Harder to explain than actually do.

You just need a 2lb hammer and a sharp(ish) cold chisel.

Using the corner of the chisel hit it then turn the chisel about 30 deg and repeat until you have gone right around in a circle. You will then have a kind of star shaped indentation on the cast.
Keep going round and round and a small hole will appear.
Keep going and the hole gets bigger and you will have to start using the blade of the chisel on the edge of the hole until you have the size you want.
Tap a thread in and Bob's yer uncle.
Takes about 10 minutes to do.

It won't break believe me.

Maybe i should do a video for youtube :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back