Type of flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a terraced house built in 1969, that I believe use to have a back boiler. This is long removed now.

My question is what flue do I have?

It appears to be sectional concrete 6" pipes. It doesn't go straight up but goes into the a joining wall. There is also inside the fireplace a concrete molded 'header'? that I guess directs air to the flue.

Is this made of concrete? If so what fire would it allow?

It is sooty so would appear to have had some sort of fire?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
What is its internal dimension(s), above the starter block? Round or rectangular?
What's the volume of the catchment space (litres).
Get into the loft and post pictures of everything you have.
For example it may change to a metal twinwall flue going to a ridge terminal - or something else.
Is there a gas point near the fireplace?

We can only guess what state it's in, you would need an appropriate person to inspect and test it.
The chances are that if it checks out OK you could use it for a Decorative Fuel Effect fire, but you'd need to check the fire manufacturer approves whatever you have.

Fitting fires is definitely not a DIY job.

It might be best to get this moved to Plumbing and Heating.

What is its internal dimension(s), above the starter block? Round or rectangular?
What's the volume of the catchment space (litres).
Get into the loft and post pictures of what you have.
For example it may change to a metal twinwall flue going to a ridge terminal - or something else.
Is there a gas point near the fireplace?

We can only guess what state it's in, you would need an appropriate person to inspect and test it.
The chances are that if it checks out OK you could use it for a Decorative Fuel Effect fire, but you'd need to check the fire manufacturer approves whatever you have.

Fitting fires is definitely not a DIY job.

Hello,

Round at least 5" maybe 6".

Not sure on volume.

In the loft I can see a 4 foot by 6 inch cement chimney facing me.

Yes there is a gas point.

I'd certainly not DIY.

We do have a shared chimney with 2 pots. It looks like a precast flue to me. What else might it be constructed from?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What else might it be constructed from?
Anything and everything.

OK so the blocks that you can see were cast before they were brought to the house. That means nothing.
Someone may have used Balinese drain pipe and lined it with cow dung.
You have to get it inspected - by someone who is prepared to take responsibility.
Unless it's clearly identifiable and can be confirmed as conforming to one of several Brit Standards, you can't use it as a flue for anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back