Type of Insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I mentioned in another thread that while tracing a cable run I found out the extractor fan in my bathroom is not connected to a hose.

I took the fan off and there is a ton of insulation up there but I managed to find the end of the hose by feeling around.

I'm going to have to break some of it up as it's very dense ( I basically couldn't get my hand through it and had to push it upwards)

What type of insulation is this? Fibreglass? Can I just tear some of it or go in with some scissors (So I can move the hose into position) I put my mask on while I was poking around

IMG_20210822_124723.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fibreglass is often either pink or light yellow. If it's streaky brown/buff it's probably Earthwool, if it's green it's likely to be Rockwool. Both are spun mineral wool and have a consistency not unlike very dense candy floss when in roll form. Can be torn by hand or cut with an old handsaw or kitchen breadknife. You are right to wear a mask and gloves (and long sleeves) - the older stuff can be murder to breathe and the fibres in some older types will leave you itching for hours if they contact the skin. If handling a lot of it a shower afterwards is a good idea, too

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou I think it is probably Earthwool then. Dense candyfloss is exactly how I would describe it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back