Type of paint for new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise if I need to use a special paint for the first coat on new plaster. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
New plaster skim must be left 10 days before you paint, base plaster/render & skim up to 28 days. You don’t need to use special paint to prime new plaster; ordinary matt emulsion thinned 25-30%, apply 2/3coats in quick succession, leave overnight to dry then apply your chosen paint finish; do not use PVA. For finish coats, I always thin emulsion around 5%, it gives a better finish.

New plaster skim must be left 10 days before you paint, base plaster/render & skim up to 28 days.

28 days? Blimey - thanks for telling me (I thought that once it changed colour it would be okay to paint). Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
28 days? Blimey - thanks for telling me (I thought that once it changed colour it would be okay to paint). Thanks again!
Just to clarify; the 28 days is only if you’ve had a new render/plaster base with finish plaster skim over the top where the total thickness can up to 15mm. If it’s just a finish plaster skim over existing plaster (2-4mm) then 10 days is all you need.

Even though plaster may look dry (the change of colour) there will be a still be a high residual moisture content, if you don’t wait until it’s dried out sufficiently the paint won’t adhere properly, will bubble/blister as the moisture tries to escape & may crack & fall off. You can get breathable plaster primer but you won’t be able to finish paint that anyway so you might as well stick with standard matt emulsion, it’s a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back