how long before you can paint new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've been plastering for about 3 years and i have always believed that you should leave new plaster for 5-7 days before you paint it or until it is completely dry and then you should use a 50/50 coat of water and emulsion prior to painting.
a mate of mine has just had some plastering done by someone else as i couldnt do it quick enough. the plasterer said he could paint it that day, as in as soon as the plasterer had left and he didnt need to do any 50/50 coat or anything.
a bit confused..........

Sponsored Links
If it’s a skim coat then your right & he's definitely wrong & I actually advise 10-14 days; base coat & skim should be left for up to 4 weeks.

Thinning 50/50 is too thin 25% is enough & if your mate hasn’t done this for the first couple of coats, his paint will not have stuck to the new plaster at all well, will peel off in great chunks with any wall paper put on there in the future & may even crack & fall off on it’s own as it all dries out.

Just wait until it's pale pink - it's not going to get any drier no matter how long you leave it.

Sponsored Links
Just wait until it's pale pink - it's not going to get any drier no matter how long you leave it.
Oh joe give us a break; it's pink, set & dryish but the moisture content is still high for many more days :rolleyes:

Oh joe give us a break; it's pink, set & dryish but the moisture content is still high for many more days :rolleyes:

You obviously don't work in the real world do you? :rolleyes: You might also notice the mist coat makes it a bit moisture laden. Come on get a grip - EVERYONE paints it when it goes pink and dry.

Yes. Let it go nice and uniformly pink - then paint it.

You obviously don't work in the real world do you? :rolleyes: You might also notice the mist coat makes it a bit moisture laden. Come on get a grip - EVERYONE paints it when it goes pink and dry.
Awe joe after all my support in the past, now youve gone & hurt my feelings :rolleyes:

will peel off in great chunks with any wall paper put on there in the future & may even crack & fall off on it’s own as it all dries out.
like 20 years later :!: I just had to strip a whole room in our new (to us ) house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back