Type of paint to use on interior woodwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone here have suggestions on the type (or brand) of paint to use on interior woodwork? Specifically on the *interior* side of a timber window and it's interior timber surround.

I have read in a newspaper that oil-based paints are more likely to fade than water-based in relation to interior woodwork applications.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You would indeed need to choose whether to go with oil or water based paint. Also the finish you want. I expect probably eggshell or gloss. Most manufacturers will provide an undercoat which works well with it's top coat. Someone should be able to advise in a paint shop or even paint section of a DIY store to make sure you get the correct two paints.

I find the water based paints are easier to apply, both less work and less chance of runs forming etc and also of course easier clean up- cleaning brushes etc. Water paint does seem to stay whiter and brighter.
I have not been keen on water based eggshell however, I prefer the outcome with gloss but the gloss will likely show brush marks where oil paints would not.

If you would be happy with a gloss finish the paint I use and have been pleased with is Johnstones. The undercoat just called "water based undercoat" and the gloss "water based gloss." If the wood is bare you would need to use a primer first but I also often use Johnstones "Joncryl water based primer undercoat" which works as both. Johnstones confirmed compatibility with the gloss but said the gloss may not appear as bright white. The gloss still appeared and stayed bright white.

Don't fret about anything for only interior use. The bottom line being a lot of paints like the above are good and can therefore be used exterior or interior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back