Type of threads on union offset valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am trying to fix a thermostatic hand held shower in my bathroom. I ordered this shower from ebay.

However, the union offset valves that came with the shower have one 3/4" end threaded usually which would fix into shower itself (Photo as below). The other end of the valve which is supposed to be fixed to the hot/cold pipe has the type of thread I have never seen before. Please see the photos.

Instead of usual threads, it has spikes all around. I'd guess these spikes are for a rubber pipe to grip it properly but we don't use rubber pipes for hot/cold connections in UK. Also its a larger dia than a usual rubber pipe which we use for filling appliances e.g. washing machine or dishwashers etc so I can't use those pipe either.

Could anyone please tell me if there is any special type of connector that I need to attach to that spiked end or shall I return it to the seller? I don't want to return it to be honest as it would cost me return postage and also I really like the shower myself.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Attachments

• Union Offset.jpg
    Union Offset.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 105
  • thermo shower.jpg
    thermo shower.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
I'd guess the spiked thread is actually a normal thread with sections milled out. If you use Loctite 55 to seal the threads, Loctite recommend you "rough up" the threads before winding it on.

The Hans Grohe IBox, which is beautifully made, has the threads treated this way, although not to the same degree.

IMG_6543.PNG Ditch them and buy a shower fixing kit like this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back