Types of sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could let me know what type of sand I need to use to replace my internal render where I've hacked it back to brick.

Is it sharp sand for a really tough mix or is it building sand which is often called washed sand?

I'm confused! Please help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sharp sand, due to the particle size and shell content, is best used for concreting and other outside jobs such as slab laying etc.
For internal render, use a finer building sand.
At one time you could buy plastering sand - but I haven't seen it listed anywhere recently.
John :)

Where I am we use sharp sand for rendering, building sand for brick/block work and concreting sand for obviously concreting and floor screeding and laying block paviours on....Different parts of the country different discriptions for sand. ;)

Sponsored Links
What's concreting sand? All in ballast?

No joe. sharp sand with a fine gravel mixed in with it...thats our concreting sand... ;)
does it not depend on the type of job? my gf old man had a concrete wheelchair ramp done a few weeks back they used ballast with big aggregate at a mix ratio of 4-1, i was thinking of doing a concrete path in the summer what would you use for that roy?

No joe. sharp sand with a fine gravel mixed in with it...thats our concreting sand... ;)
does it not depend on the type of job? my gf old man had a concrete wheelchair ramp done a few weeks back they used ballast with big aggregate at a mix ratio of 4-1, i was thinking of doing a concrete path in the summer what would you use for that roy?
Hi Steve..
I always use sand, gravel (20mm) ,cement. I use the ratios of 4-2-1, but I know a few lads who use a 5-3-1 mix. I never use all in ballast I like to gauge my mixes by the bucket and in a normal Belle mixer instead of a bucket of cement we throw the whole bag in never had any problems with it,,,Its a nice strong mix...

Hi Steve..
I always use sand, gravel (20mm) ,cement. I use the ratios of 4-2-1, but I know a few lads who use a 5-3-1 mix. I never use all in ballast I like to gauge my mixes by the bucket and in a normal Belle mixer instead of a bucket of cement we throw the whole bag in never had any problems with it,,,Its a nice strong mix...
hi roy so you would use 4 of sharp sand 2 of 20mm gravel and 1 cement ?

Hi Steve..
hi roy so you would use 4 of sharp sand 2 of 20mm gravel and 1 cement ?
Yes 4 of concreting sand 2 gravel and like I said 1 cement (as in 1 bag) cause if you are gauging by the yelllow/black stadium builders bucket there is not too much cement left after you pour it in the bucket so we throw the bag in as well. Dont forget supposedly the ratios are weight ratios but the wet sand and gravel throw that equation out the window so putting a full bag of cement in evens up the balance..(theoretically) Like I say never had problems with this mix ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back