Tyre pressure sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2015 Picanto 1.0 petrol TA

Got two new tyres this week and found the reason the warning light was on was because one of the sensors at the wheel was damaged.

I've seen some sensors sets on ebay and the sellers say they tune into the car's system after about 15 minutes drive.

Battery life is about 5-7 years it seems so may practical to replace all the sensors.

Comments welcome. thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a look at the post by fixitflav further down the page there's some pearls of wisdom there!
John :)

Friend of mine had a Vauxhall brought after market sensors had a nightmare trying to get them to work ,had to buy Vauxhall own, worked straight away

Sponsored Links
Friend of mine had a Vauxhall brought after market sensors had a nightmare trying to get them to work ,had to buy Vauxhall own, worked straight away
I've found a tyre pressure gauge perfectly adequate for the past 59 years of motoring ;)
Is this another gimmick that is obligatory if fitted to the car?

I've found a tyre pressure gauge perfectly adequate for the past 59 years of motoring ;)
Agree.
Out of all the new gizmos in modern cars, this is the one that gives the most trouble.
I check my tyre pressure every time I get the car washed, so every month.
Very rarely I have to adjust pressure.

Agree.
Out of all the new gizmos in modern cars, this is the one that gives the most trouble.
I check my tyre pressure every time I get the car washed, so every month.
Very rarely I have to adjust pressure.
I tend to adopt the same procedure, though they get an extra check prior to a long journey.
There was a time when just kicking the tyre was considered adequate ;)

I tend to adopt the same procedure, though they get an extra check prior to a long journey.
There was a time when just kicking the tyre was considered adequate ;)
Yes, before long journeys.
And don't forget to mention that tyre pressure must be adjusted accordingly to the load.
Most cars have a sticker in the fuel cap indication correct tyre pressure with and without load and also for different tyre sizes if recommended by manufacturer.
Once upon a time, all tyres would be on 2 bars, not anymore.

My Corolla doesn't have tyre pressure sensors, but is still able to give a warning on the dash if pressure is low. I presume it uses the satnav data and ECU wheel-revs data to compute the tyre rolling radius and compare that with an ideal radius?

Yes, before long journeys.
And don't forget to mention that tyre pressure must be adjusted accordingly to the load.
Most cars have a sticker in the fuel cap indication correct tyre pressure with and without load and also for different tyre sizes if recommended by manufacturer.
Once upon a time, all tyres would be on 2 bars, not anymore.
You are preaching to the converted. I have been driving for 59 years, a high proportion of which for my living :whistle:
My remark about 'tyre kicking' was tongue-in-cheek, although back in the 'sixties the procedure was commonly practised.

You are preaching to the converted. I have been driving for 59 years, a high proportion of which for my living :whistle:
My remark about 'tyre kicking' was tongue-in-cheek, although back in the 'sixties the procedure was commonly practised.
I know it was tongue in cheek.
I was just adding to your post hoping that some drivers from the generation "turn the key and go" would take notice.

They're useful for runflat tyres, which have much stiffer side walls and don't look obviously low on pressure. If you're testing your pressure every month you may feel it unnecessary, but there is some advantage in having the computer test the pressure every second - you could pick up a puncture while driving and not realise until it's too late (if the pressure drops to the point that the tyre overheats/shreds it's ruined- stopping sooner to get it repaired could have saved it)

My Corolla doesn't have tyre pressure sensors, but is still able to give a warning on the dash if pressure is low. I presume it uses the satnav data and ECU wheel-revs data to compute the tyre rolling radius and compare that with an ideal radius?
That type uses the ABS wheel sensors to measure the rotation of each wheel. If one wheel takes a significantly different time than the others to cover a full rotation then the tyre on that wheel is probably under inflated relative to the other tyres.

I know it was tongue in cheek.
I was just adding to your post hoping that some drivers from the generation "turn the key and go" would take notice.
Fair comment, it's a generation thing.
In my day you had to drive the vehicle, today's cars are more likely to appeal to geeks.

That type uses the ABS wheel sensors to measure the rotation of each wheel. If one wheel takes a significantly different time than the others to cover a full rotation then the tyre on that wheel is probably under inflated relative to the other tyres.
Got a reference for that?

Sponsored Links
Back