Tyre Rotation - (tyre maintenace)

Not contradicting Dave, just my own point of view - maybe the Peugeot forum bods think otherwise.
Slightly off topic but for sure, those people who doubt the value of winter tyres should give them a try - I'm still amazed by the difference. I reckon a FWD car with winter fronts is as least as good as a 4X4 with standard rubber, maybe better.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The Ford dealer rotated my tyres (tires here) on the last service. Coupled with the 15lb psi extra they put in each tyre it made the car almost un drivable, just as well they were almost due for replacement... The tyre shop couldn't believe they'd even consider not recommending they were replaced

W.

John, these people are in Sweden (?) where it's winter for months and months . I'm in Surrey where it snows for 2 days a year. My best tyres are on the front . What about the WRC drivers where they mix hard and soft compound tyres from side to side and/or axle to axle . What's the thinking there?

What about the WRC drivers where they mix hard and soft compound tyres from side to side and/or axle to axle . What's the thinking there?

Not strictly true.

Rally is NOT like short circuit racing & I think you are confusing the two.

There might be WRC rally drivers who dial in +2.1 deg on the O/S/F only but they are NOT top flight, they are the type who are living the dream & can afford all the gear with no idea.

This kind of approach is much more applicable to short circuit racing, where a whole setup could be defined by one corner.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone remember what the dangerous combination actually is?

P.S. It's the rubber that grips, not the gaps in the tread patterns.
Gaps are Sipes;) As said xply and radials on same axle NO ! But also NO to rad. front/xply rear. Easy to remember - Radials on the Rear OK. Reliants went better on xplies better as in controllable slides and lifting the N/S wheel by a foot on exiting roundabouts:mrgreen:

John, these people are in Sweden (?) where it's winter for months and months . I'm in Surrey where it snows for 2 days a year. My best tyres are on the front . What about the WRC drivers where they mix hard and soft compound tyres from side to side and/or axle to axle . What's the thinking there?

Apparently the WRC drivers do mix hard and soft compounds, on either axle or sides......whether that is to give better control or simply make the tyres last longer I haven't a clue. Maybe its dependant on whether the stage has a majority of left or right hand bends?
For sure, I wouldn't consider myself in a position to question Sebastien Ogier!
Superbike / Moto GP riders have a stickier compound on one side of the tyre, again depending on whether the circuit is predominantly clockwise or anticlockwise.....now they really are nuts.

Where did I confuse WRC with short circuit racing ? I know the difference. Petter Solberg in World Rallycross is the man for punishing his tyres, all 4 are always smoking. 600 or so bhp in a Citroen DS3 4WD

Where did I confuse WRC with short circuit racing ? I know the difference. Petter Solberg in World Rallycross is the man for punishing his tyres, all 4 are always smoking. 600 or so bhp in a Citroen DS3 4WD

There you go again. WRC is World Rally Championship. World Rallycross is short circuit racing.

"There I go again" ? Are you saying I'm in a state of constant confusion? I suppose any rallycross is on a shortish circuit ( about 1 mile ) but I always considered short circuit racing to be something like Wimbledon Stadium or Aldershot Stadium. Whatever the length of the track , where does it impact on my question about WRC or WRX drivers mixing tyre compounds side to side or axle to axle? I'm not arguing about which end to put your best tyres, just passing on what others say. This section of the DIY forum is friendly, let's keep it that way. Leave all unpleasantness to the GD forum.

It seems very time consuming. Not convinced it's a wise procedure in terms of benefit gained to time taken to perform the switch out. It just looks like a lot of hard work.

Found an interesting article on it online: https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/blogs/news/car-wheel-and-tyre-safety

I don't know anyone that does it. As you have said, maybe it's more of something that was done in yester-year. Main priority seems to be tyre/ thread condition and air pressure.

One point - if you have a lightweight FWD vehicle there's a fair chance that the rear tyres will have splits in the treads and sidewalls......long before they are worn out tread depth wise.

Don't some tyres have the direction of rotation moulded on them?

Transfer them to the oposite side will mean they rotate wrong way.

That's absolutely right Alan, so it's rear to front without swapping sides.
I don't bother.....I keep an eye out for splits and put new rubber on as it's needed, but I still want the best treads on the front.

Do you think new cheap tyres are safer than worn out quality tyres?

Sponsored Links
Back