Tyre Tracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people,
I need to change the two front tyres. Tread has got too low but wear was uneven and indicated tracking not quite correct.
So, I have a few options and need advice really:
Option1) Get tracking done now and have two new ones fitted at same time from Kwik Fit.
Option 2) Get two new tyres from Costco (cheaper and good brand as well) but they dont do tracking (only balancing). So I would then need to get tracking done at Kwik Fit right after.
Option 3) As Option 2 but wait a few weeks for tyres to 'bed in' before having tracking set up correctly.

Any views or other options?
Its a small hatchback used for local low mileage.
Thanks
S

Sponsored Links
I would do the following:

1: avoid kwik fit. too expensive.
2. visit www.blackcircles.com and look at the cheap tyres on offer there.
3. Go through the process of buying the tyres and when it gives you the garage choice to book you car into, give them a ring and see if they do tracking. If they do, buy the tyres and call the garage and say your getting tyres on such and such a day and can they do the tracking too. If the garage doesn't do tracking, choose one that does. I would suspect they all pretty much should.
4. Basque in lifes warm glowing warming glow.

I cant recommend black circles enough.

K Fit are not always too expensive. I've just compared a set of four 185/65/15's from blackcircles and KF, they are about £7 a tyre cheaper from KF.
If the tracking is out there's no point putting new tyres on for them to get scuffed away. Best to get all the steering checked out before fitting new tyres.

K Fit are not always too expensive. I've just compared a set of four 185/65/15's from blackcircles and KF, they are about £7 a tyre cheaper from KF.
If the tracking is out there's no point putting new tyres on for them to get scuffed away. Best to get all the steering checked out before fitting new tyres.

This is a new option then!
# Get tracking done before fitting new tyres.
(Or do you actually mean at same time?)

Which could mean, get Costco tyres, as still the cheapest and then go to K Fit for just the tracking, right afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Kwik Fit Web Prices are also cheaper than branch prices.

Print off the quotation page and take with you to the KF and shove it under their noses whilst pointing and saying "I'll have 2 of 'em"

By driving about trying to find somewhere to get the tracking done aint going to save you anything, just more hassle...just get it done wherever you you buy the tyres from.

Go to Just Tyres. Cheaper than quickfit and they will probably do the job correctly, unlike Sh*t Fit where you get a 17 year old who does not know which end of the spanner to hold working on your car.

What I meant was, when you go for the new tyres get the steering checked. Not just the tracking, get them to check it all. Personally, I wouldn't do the tracking until I'd checked that the rest of the steering was ok.

1. Get steering looked at.
2. If everything's ok fit new tyres.
3. Tracking.

Re Costco; my local Costco no longer does a "budget" tyre. They only stock the likes of Michelin etc.

Thank you all, some real help here. My Costco has Michelins at £62 each inc all normal gubbins, valve, balancing etc (except tracking) for my car which is about £5 cheaper than K.Fit. Although I must check their website now and see if that can match. I would rather go to one place to get all done at same time. And wise to get steering looked at as well.
Thanks again.

I think Kwik Fit have pricematch but they'll probably say they don't match with the internet or Costco etc.

Sponsored Links
Back