Wheel Alignment Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had new front tyres fitted to my Clio a year ago but on fitting new brake pads recently, I noticed there is a very slight difference of wear in both tyres in that the inner tread is worn fractionally more than the outer. As the difference is only slight I would like to correct this myself but I am not sure if inner tyre wear is a result of toe in or toe out. Can someone enlighten me please.

At the same time can you suggest what would be a reasonable amount of turn on the track rod to correct this ie Full, half or quarter turn, bearing in mind the difference in wear is barely noticeable but is there nonetheless.

:?: Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Wear on the inside edge is due to excessive toe out. I use a metal tube with a length of threaded rod inside it to do my tracking. You can do it on the tyres if you can't get to the rims as long as you measure at the same height at the front and back of the tyre. I set it so that it just touches the inside of the tyres at the front then move it to the back and check the gap - or lack of it.

Peter

Many thanks for the info Peter.

However, I didn't want to get involved with checking the tracking as such because quite frankly, I don't think I am competent enough to know what I am doing. All I want to do is adjust the track rod (which I do know how to do) ever so slightly to correct the toe out, on the basis that at least some adjustment is better leaving things as they are. As mentioned previously, the amount of wear is quite minimal and not worth taking into a garage for a proper wheel alignment as I have had the car checked by so called professionals on several occasions in the past and they still don't seem to get it right, so I thought I would do it myself this time. I just want to rectify the toe out as best I can with a slight tweak of the track rod but am not sure how much turn I should put on it. I mean, if I were to adjust the rod by say one half or quarter of a turn, would that make any difference.

Sponsored Links
The professionals very often don't get it right that's why I do it myself. The front tyres on the XMs wear almost perfectly evenly and last about 30k but I do drive quite gently and the self leveling suspension helps keep them in track.

If you are going to make a small adjustment make sure you do it equally on both sides or you will put the steering wheel off centre. If the rack is behind the wheels you need to lengthen the track rods to make it tow in.

As mentioned' a quarter of a turn and let us know'. :D

Peter

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you both. Your comments are much appreciated and I will try a quarter turn and hope that will rectify the toe out. As you say, I will only find out if a quarter turn has done the trick when I change the tyres in a year or so's time but at least I shall have a better idea of what to do next time.

Many thanks

Bernie

Back