Tyrolean removal/repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owners of my lovely Victorian house coated it in tyrolean which I suspect might have caused a bit of moisture build up. No major damp internally but most the plaster in the kitchen recently removed while renovating.

Cant afford full removal yet so I'm removing a few courses of this horrid tyrolean (to above DPC injection) in attempt to get a bit more breathability (hopefully!). Three questions,

1 Will revealing and pointing bricks up to just above internal floor level help with breathability/moisture ingress/retention - or potentially worsen This?

2 is there any value In lime mortar pointing just for this exposed area, given the building is already suffocating with tyrolean and no doubt concrete pointing under that.

3 I've raked back pea gravel which was all around the footing to check no big damp issues. I now see this is flagged rather than soil so could this potentially cause more moisture retention at the lower/sub level? Can't see how this supports any drainage or anything if no soil beneath

Attachments

• 20181010_101535.jpg
    20181010_101535.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 395
Sponsored Links
theres no particular value in lime pointin that couple of courses.
i dont think that application is Tyrolean. i cant remember the name but its not good for that old wall and pointing.
you want to get the lot off an hack out the pointing for 20mm or so.
you might do well afterwards to go over the brick with a soft grinding cup an remove all paint an mortar traces.

strangely, the wall seems to have been built off a concrete slab judgin by the ledge that can be seen - the ledge, whatever it is, will be collectin water an allowin it to seep under and up into the wall.

your earlier post showed plaster touching the conc floor - the plaster should be held back about 50mm. an the metal corner bead should also be cut back or it will rust out.
was that plasterwork a remedial job because of damp?

Thanks for the advice, old render had no damp patches as such was still intact but bit crumbly when taking off in parts so it was all hacked off and redone. Other posts mention tanking which might have helped but bit late now.

Hopefully a couple of air vents will help as I think this has been poor too. Not sure what I can do about the ledge? Mine can't be the only one on our row

Hi Dee,
Your wall looks to be covered in some kind of texture coating, probably not Tyrolean.
If it is cement based it will be very time consuming to chip it off by hand and will need to be removed by sand-blasting or mechanical needle scaler.
Otherwise, there are chemical applications that can strip off texture coating.
I'm guessing from what you describe the house is pre-cavity era and is probably a nine-inch solid wall typical of Victorian buildings and notoriously susceptible to damp ingress requiring injection course and internal replastering.
At ground level, there should not be a problem of damp below the damp course as long as there is not continuous standing water up against the house or major water overflowing guttering or downpipes. If you have significant structural cracks at the corners of the property this will indicate a water run-off issue.
After removing the texture coating, depending on the state of the brickwork and your taste, it can then either be repointed or sand & cement rendered to your preference.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice..No cracks at ground level that I can see but definitely in need of pointing so I'll take care of the bits I expose then hopefully tackle full removal later. It does seem to peel of at the bottom below DPC level so hopefully it's not concrete based‍♀️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back