tyrolene or silver sand and cement??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wondered if anyone can help, ive got to render a new extension, and someone has mentioned silversand and cement,?? just wondered if this is anything like tyrolene,(cullamix) as tyrolene is so expensive, and just wondered what ratio would be used and if it could be used in the tyrolene gun??

Sponsored Links
I've only used Cullamix for tyrolean finish,, i've "never" made my own. I know it's pricey, ( around £20/£25 ish for a 25kg bag),,, but it's consistent,, just add water, no guesswork,,, made for the job,,, although i must admit, tyrolean is not that popular nowadays,, around this area anyway.

I did a big tyroleaning job a few years ago and we mixed all our own "muck" up. We used 6-1-1 mix (sand lime and cement) but you can use a 6-1 mix(Sand and cement and plasticiser) You have to experiment to get the consistantcy right tho. I think If I remember rightly, we put some PVA in with the gauging water..I will try and dig out the "spec" if Ican find it....

I did a big tyroleaning job a few years ago and we mixed all our own "muck" up. We used 6-1-1 mix (sand lime and cement) but you can use a 6-1 mix(Sand and cement and plasticiser) You have to experiment to get the consistantcy right tho. I think If I remember rightly, we put some PVA in with the gauging water..
I will try and dig out the "spec" if I can find my specs..

Sorry Royzee mucca for re-writing your quote,,,, couldn't resist it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Your not wrong there mucka . Eyes aint what they used to be :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Yes ,but they do stop the plaster going in your eyes when skimming ceilings, have been saved an "eye-full" a few times by my glasses ;)

Yes ,but they do stop the plaster going in your eyes when skimming ceilings, have been saved an "eye-full" a few times by my glasses ;)

Might be on to something there - Dennis Taylor style glasses for plastering ceilings ;)

hi just wondered if anyone can help, ive got to render a new extension, and someone has mentioned silversand and cement,?? just wondered if this is anything like tyrolene,(cullamix) as tyrolene is so expensive, and just wondered what ratio would be used and if it could be used in the tyrolene gun??

I suggest that you mix 1 part cement, 1 part lime and 3 parts fine sand and mix with water, or half fine sand and half lime or cement. The consistency should be thick but pourable. Set the adjustment handle on side of machine to about 2nd setting. Crank handle and keep the machine moving across the wall to be coated. Pass over the area quickly and do not "dwell". You should not expect to cover the 'wall' background until you have passed over several times. The idea is to build up a honeycomb of tiny particles of cement which build up thickness of between 5 & 7mm, (1/4") – (3/8").Don't merge one pass with another whilst its still wet as this causes 'slumping' Provided you start with a reasonable area of wall and make passes along the lines of the horizontal you should not over blow. Later you can vary your direction to get a random finish. When applied to Cement Blocks or Bricks you should 'blind' the mortar lines with a render coat, and then when dry, cover with the "TYROLEAN" finish
Oxide Colouring can be added to the mix and provided the coating has not been painted further coats can be added to freshen the colour in say 4-5 years time. Once a cement product has been painted the chemical properties of adhesion are lost.
These web sites may help

http://www.toptower.co.uk/tyrol_machine.htm

http://www.latyrolienne.com/the_moustic.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back