Tyrolene repair query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, approx half my house is rendered with coloured tyrolene which has been on for around 15 years. A small section has fallen off, it's approx 1ft sq and there are a few fine cracks too. So far I've asked 2 companies to quote. The first said tyrolene is very old fashioned and no one will repair it and suggested it was all removed and replaced with their product, he didn't even bother to take any measurements but sent a quote for £6000.

The second company was more helpful and checked all the render by tapping it and you could hear where other areas were loose. He showed samples of tyrolene and took measurements. He said an area approx 20% would need replacing and it certainly didn't all need replacing. This quote was £2800.

I really don't want to have all the tyrolene removed. I'd prefer to have it repaired but my worries are:

1. The colour won't match as I'm sure there will be variation and it will look patchy (I like my house to look smart).
2. The new tyrolene won't match smoothly against the old - or is this down to the skill of the person applying it?

Am I wasting my money having it repaired?

I'd like to get another quote but not sure how to find another company, is there a federation where I can find a member to quote?

I'd appreciate any advice please, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can repair & colour match small areas of Tyrolean. How well its done depends on the Renderer.
There are various Of-the-Shelf ready mixed Tyroleans available for DIY.

The thing is, why now is it "falling off" and loose in patches?
Typically, lack of original bonding can cause both the underlying sand an cement render and the top coat Tyrolean to part from their backgrounds.
But you dont know why its failing - thats a site call from an experienced operative.
Why was it originally applied?
Any damp issues inside the house?

FWIW two things to note:
1- most attempts to repair render where scattered patches are cracking, blowing or falling off are a waste of time and money.
2- stay away from all Assn. and Federation recommends - these groups are not in the public's interest - any of them.

A photo of the wall(s) might help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back