"Uber" loses its licence in London

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Uber stripped of London licence due to lack of corporate responsibility

US ride-hailing company to appeal after Transport for London says it is not a ‘fit and proper’ operator"

Well! Fancy that!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/22/uber-licence-transport-for-london-tfl

"Uber’s application for a new licence in London has been rejected on the basis that the company is not a “fit and proper” private car hire operator.

Uber said it planned to challenge the ruling by London’s transport authority in the courts immediately.

The current licence expires on 30 September but Uber has 21 days to appeal and can continue to operate until that process expires.

The decision by Transport for London was backed by London mayor Sadiq Khan, employment rights campaigners, and the trade body for the capital’s black cab drivers, who have been staunch opponents of the US ride-hailing app."

Sponsored Links
Good grief!

"In March, it was revealed that the ride-hailing company was using a custom-built tool, known as ‘Greyball’ software, to deceive law enforcement.

When local regulators would try to track down drivers, Uber used Greyball to show them a fake version of the Uber app to try and protect themselves..."

"...Uber had used Greyball to evade local government authorities in the United States, Australia, South Korea, and China.

The software used several methods to identify and deny service to government officials who were investigating Uber."

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/22/what-is-the-greyball-software-uber-used-to-avoid-the-law-6948057/

They champion themselves are proponents of the free market but all they have done is avoid regulation. Does regulation need to be reivisited in light of technical change - yes but that doesnt mean that we can apply it in a piecemeal basis or ignore it like Uber.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what JohnDs interest in this is. White english compose the largest part of trad black cabs etc. Asian immigrants are the biggest component of uber drivers in the smoke. Uber has been slated for the lack of security/safety it offers its customers. Sexual assualts, rapes, ripoffs etc. I think this anti uber movement is a racial slur against asians and people of colour :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Uber didn't report a number of sexual asaults commited by it's drivers, but black cabbies have done the same at times, but with black cab drivers, the assaults only get reported to the police, as there's no central control for black cabs. Live moves on, and black cab drivers need to respond to Uber, rather than shutting it down.

But I'm not convinced that the Uber model is a good one. Staff are supposed to be self employed, but seem to be treated like employees (or so some of the complain) and so the drivers aren't liable for VAT, but I think it's HMRC that are saying that the company should be paying VAT on the drivers earnings, and I don't think that that's right. I was in America recently, and the taxi cost $28, and the Uber taxi going back, only cost $14, so somethings not quite right with that sort of a difference. I'll reserve judgement on this one for a bit.

White english ...Asian immigrants ...Sexual assualts, rapes, ripoffs etc. ...asians and people of colour
What a weird slur. I wonder why m itch makes up such nonsense. Perhaps he is obsessed by race.

Uber didn't report a number of sexual asaults commited by it's drivers, but black cabbies have done the same at times, but with black cab drivers, the assaults only get reported to the police, as there's no central control for black cabs.
That's a strange complaint.

You say Uber hushed up their assaulters while black-cabbies only get reported to the police.

There were about 12 complaints to Uber from women who got mollested/attaked by Uber drivers, and they were supposed to have reported the drivers to the police, who I assume whould have revoked their licences. And it's because Uber didn't report them to the police, that they are not getting their licence renewed. I can only assume that the women also went to the police, as well as having complained to Uber.

I said that black cab assaults would only get reported to the police, but the Uber driver assault would have been reported to Uber, as well as the police.

There were about 12 complaints to Uber from women who got mollested/attaked by Uber drivers, and they were supposed to have reported the drivers to the police, who I assume whould have revoked their licences. And it's because Uber didn't report them to the police, that they are not getting their licence renewed. I can only assume that the women also went to the police, as well as having complained to Uber.
I said that black cab assaults would only get reported to the police, but the Uber driver assault would have been reported to Uber, as well as the police.

That doesn't really make much sense, but -
It would seem having a central control does not do much good.

So, will the police not ensure the black cabbies have their licence revoked?
How does a black cab driver assault women from his little cage?

If a cabbie gets prosecuted, the the local council will revoke their licence, and that goes for either type. From the stories I've read over the years, it seems to happen to the inebriated girls more.

There's nothing to suggest people are any safer in a black cab versus an uber cab.

Surely then this is politically motivated and 'public safety' is being used as a red herring, as it often it?

My friend was doing uber for a time and he said he had to pay an annual subscription to tfl to drive, so what about those drivers who have paid the fee to drive and will now be told they can't drive? Will tfl be returning their money?

Sponsored Links
Back