UFB going into my wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night as it was getting dusky, I was shutting the garage when I saw a small bird fluttering about near my flank wall at loft level and then seemingly fly straight into it and disappear! On closer inspection, it had gone into a 1” hole left from a removed a tank overflow pipe. I’m going to have to bring my borescope home next week and get up a ladder and have a look inside the cavity - it is cavity insulated. What sort of bird nests this time of year?

Sponsored Links
Birds do roost in cold weather

To shelter from the harsh weather, some birds creep into the space between loose bark and tree trunks, using both natural and artificial cavities. Other species excavate their own roosting cavity. Sparrows, for example, use thick vegetation, vines next to houses, or available roof spaces. The recent perceptions of intolerance to birds roosting in roof spaces will certainly be a factor which has contributed to recent declines in overall numbers of species such as house sparrows and starlings
Read more at https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w.../previous/coldnights.aspx#gWtEkLQhgk0PYOhO.99

Sponsored Links
Roosting. Of course! It was getting dusk. We have that fluffy insulation in the cavity so I don’t mind if the little thing is bedding down in my wall in this cold weather.

A bat would be hibernating by now.
Seeing how cold it is today, I think I will do the same :)

It won't do any harm
I would leave it til summer and then block it off

Sponsored Links
Back