Bees going under roof tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l noticed 6 or so bees circling around my roof gutter yestaday and there were some dead ones on the floor , so l have kept my eye on this as l didn't noticed anything till yestaday..
I came out this morning and again a handful were flying around the top of the guttering .
Our house is a end house and the are flying around the corner ridge of the house.
Tonight as the sun was setting l went out and there was one or two around the corner of the gutter then one disappeared so l think it went under the corner tile..
Since l have just noticed it in the last day do you think there is only a few under the tiles or could there be a nest there..
I have read there is all different types of bees and it sounds like a masonry bee but l don't know for sure.
Anyway what actions should l take to get rid of them , is there a product l can buy to go up on my ladders and get rid of them and block up any hole that might be where the corner tile is .

Sponsored Links
I'm a fan of bees, but the masonary bees do seem ti cause a problem. Try reading this.

If they are masonry bees, I would do nothing. They leave fairly quick from our experience and have done no damage, esp if they're up on the roof part. They do occasionally do damage with mortar, but only if the mortar is already damaged - that's how they get to live there. They also don't build big nests - I think they're the same as lawn bees, solitary creatures.

IMG_0491.JPG
I will unload a photo of one on the path directly below where there are ..

Sponsored Links
They are "tree nesting bumble bees" (Bombus Hypnorum) Harmless bumble bees, so please leave them alone.

A bee will not harm you unless it feels threatened. If you start messing with a nest then expect serious repercussions.
If you have one, (or a few), in a room simply open a window and GENTLY try to guide it towards the window with a piece of paper, do not swat at it with a newspaper or magazine. They are a VERY VITAL link in the eco system and without bees the whole of mankind will suffer.

A good bit of advice I read recently: "Before tackling a wasps' or bees' nest, check that your escape route is clear...."

Back