UFH installation - screeding

M

marsaday

i am installing UFH in the kitchen. the house floors are concrete on the ground floor. i have taken up the layer of modern ceramic tile, a layer of screed, the old clay tiles, another layer of screed and am now into the brick and sand base the builders originally put down in 1910.

i need to take up about 7cm of this base, but am concerned this is quite important for the foundations of the building. i have done a trial hole and this base covering is 15cm approx thick. Should i be concerned?

2nd question is should i lay down a thin screed over this rubble (say 20mm) on which to sit the insulation then the 65mm screed. or will a blinding of sand be adequate. i will be using a membrane as well.

Sponsored Links
building control have just been - nice and early too. the floor is not structural so all ok. off to dig the bugger up now !

Good luck digging it is my least favourite past time.

I take it you are putting in insulation and a vapour shield? I would go a bit extra and use extruded polystreyne rather than jabbalite as this will assist your ufh considerably.

Pete

Sponsored Links
yes i am using 75mm celotox. all done today and i will do a thin screed tomorrow for the celotex to sit on.

can anyone answer this query.

i read that it is best to put a concrete base down THEN a screed of sand/cement on top. this is all on top of compacted hardcore.

i have laid a screed of 1"-3" onto the old hardcore rubble in places and also soil (i have removed all the old tiles/screed and rubble to accommodate what i am putting back).

the 75mm insulation boards will go down next (inc visquene) and then a screed of 65-70mm.

Will this be good enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back