UFH Pressurised Pipe and Screed Drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber and my builders just had a bit of a fall out

The builders are installing the pipework, the plumber the manifold and pressure test.

The builders say to leave the system pressurised for 24 hours, then they'll start screeding. That it does not need to remain pressurised during the screeding process

The plumber says that after screeding the system must remain pressurised for 4 days.

I did some research and apparently the BS 1624 standard says that it must remain pressurised throughout the screed drying period - which can take from 3 to 21 days, depending on the screed, depth etc. Which is roughly what the plumber said.

I rang the suppler, Florad, to ask them - who are the people advising my builders. They said to keep pressure in the system during screed laying, but it doesn't need to be maintained during drying. I asked them about the BS standard and they said that is for soft pipes and they are installing the 10mm qual-pex barrier pipe.

So my question is. Who the hell is right :)

Mark

Sponsored Links
Regardless of who is right, it's surely not difficult to maintain pressure during screed laying and drying, so why the big fuss? Might as well play it safe!

Regardless of who is right, it's surely not difficult to maintain pressure during screed laying and drying, so why the big fuss? Might as well play it safe!

That was the end result, to agree to disagree. The builders will let the plumber leave it pressurised for as long as he thinks best, as there is no harm done from doing so.

My understanding is that leaving it underpressure ensures that there is expansion room when hot water is fed into the pipes.

Mostly now I'm just tring to understand for myself. For instance why is Florad's recommendation different to say Polypipe or JG, who insist it's pressurised throughout the drying time.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back