UK Energy policy lurches from incompetent to disastrous

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Hitachi has shelved its new nuclear power station project at Wylfa in Wales in a move that triggers questions about the future of UK energy policy.

The company formally resolved to halt the project at a board meeting in Tokyo on Thursday. It will write off ¥300bn ($2.8bn) of work in progress.

The Japanese company’s decision to abandon the project means the UK’s programme of new nuclear construction is hanging by a thread after Toshiba quit a similar project at Moorside in Cumbria last year."

https://www.ft.com/content/059b81fe-1a39-11e9-9e64-d150b3105d21

Greg Clark, the business secretary, is due to make a statement to the Commons later on Thursday. "

Sponsored Links
If a firm is willing to write off that large amount of money, then they can see dark clouds on the horizon!

On the basis that energy requires long term strategic planning, what plans were put in place between 1997 and 2010?

Business secretary Greg Clark said the government had offered the company a “generous and significant” package of support. That included providing a debt facility for the project, taking a one third stake and a guaranteed price of power of up to £75 per megawatt hour for 35 years.

While much lower than the £92.50 awarded to EDF Energy for Hinkley Point C it is still much higher than the £57.50 for some windfarms in the early 2020s, a price that is expected to fall even lower in government auctions later this year.

Yet more prudent financial performance from the party of business.

Sponsored Links
Hitachi has announced it will suspend work on a £20bn nuclear plant in the UK because of rising construction costs.

What is the cause of "rising construction costs". Materials, labour, or what ?

Can I start pulling out of the jobs I've tendered for and signed a contract for if a bit of CLS goes up 10p a length at Wickes?

Can I start pulling out of the jobs I've tendered for and signed a contract for if a bit of CLS goes up 10p a length at Wickes?

When you draw parallels building a nuclear plant to shopping at Wickes - there's not much help for that type of thinking. (y);)

http://gridwatch.co.uk/

So wind produces more electricity than Nuclear. I do believe some countries have shelved their plans for Nuclear power and Germany plans to phase them out by 2022.

Perhaps we can revisit Nuclear tech with Molten Salt Reactors which are smaller anc cheaper to build.

Who would have thought that?
Not quitters...

According to them, bad news is 'project fear', and 'good news' is because of Brexit...

Anyone heard any 'good news' lately?

Nope, me neither!

http://gridwatch.co.uk/

So wind produces more electricity than Nuclear. I do believe some countries have shelved their plans for Nuclear power and Germany plans to phase them out by 2022.

Perhaps we can revisit Nuclear tech with Molten Salt Reactors which are smaller anc cheaper to build.

Nuclear and wind are two different types of supply, and as such are not comparable, other than both are low carbon supplies.

Look at the bright side...

We won't need the same energy supply capacity when we leave the EU, so we'll be 'quids in'...

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving (y)

Nuclear and wind are two different types of supply, and as such are not comparable, other than both are low carbon supplies.

I wasn't comparing their production profiles just surprised we get more from wind currently.

I understand NP is better run for base loads. Renewable have their place in energy provision.

I understand NP is better run for base loads.
But which could equally be taken up by tidal as that's not exactly unpredictable!

Unfortunately that has stalled because of the government's preference to kowtow to the biggest corporates...

Who ironically are increasingly wondering whether the UK is worth bothering with!

Sponsored Links
Back