UKPowerNetwork or Electric supplier responsibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wanted to get a consensus.

Background is there is a shop, with two flats above it. The two flats get their electric via the electric head located in the shop below. The two flats have their own independent electricity meters

A week and a half ago, there was a problem in a flat with apparently blew the fuse in the head (located in the shop). UKPowerNetworks attended and disconnected the flat saying it had been connected by VIR cable which was unsafe and needed to be replaced. The fuse in the shop blew again a few days later because of another reason and the second flat was disconnected because of the same reason by UKPowerNetworks.

Electrical contractors were called to fix, and they have now replaced the cable with new 'armoured' cable and provided a certificate of work. They said however, they were not allowed to connect it to the main fuse head in the shop. They advised UKPowerNetworks were responsible for that.

A call to UKPowerNetworks resulted in their stance that it was for the 'electric supplier' to connect it as it wasn't their responsibility.

The flats are supplied by British gas and southern electric. I called southern electric first who advised it was the responsibility of UKPowerNetworks and they would not attend. I explained I had been told it was their responsibility. After holding for 20 mins on the phone, I was actually told it was the electrician’s responsibility and electricians are now allowed to break the seal on the fuse and connect to the main fuse.

As you can see - a nightmare. in the middle of all this wrangling they forget there are two families living there with children; both without any electricity.

I really would appreciate some advice on who you think is responsible for connecting this new cable to the fuse head? I may be able to upload a pic (pre fix) if it helps.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
ty. After holding for 20 mins on the phone, I was actually told it was the electrician’s responsibility and electricians are now allowed to break the seal on the fuse and connect to the main fuse.

That is not the case. Only the supplier can break the fuse seal. Get that commitment in writing and I would like a copy ;)
Removing the supply fuse can be dangerous, especially if they are old.

Special PPE is required to do this safely. Your average spark does not have this.

Sponsored Links
Your supplier would usually be responsible for the tails between that head and the meters in the flat.

Call the supplier(s) again and ask again. State clearly that the cables are between what you believe the DNO-owned cutout and the supplier-owned meter.

If they are able to show you an agreement which says otherwise, then fair enough, but in my view it's their's, and you certainly shouldn't be pulling fuses.

I am dealing the the exact same scenario.

The DNO will not be interested. The are only interested in the supply coming in. They class this as a rising main.
It is now the responsibility of the supply company to who you pay your bill to to connect the new cable installed by your electricians to the meter and supply.

Electricians are not allowed to pull the main fuse. That's a fact and the person who told you an electrician can has given bad advice. If they do it again, ask for it in writing, with their name on it. They will soon go and check their facts.

The fuse has to be pulled so work can be carried out safely

It's the suppliers job. 100%

You need to speak to the supply companies metering department. You will get passed around until you get to speak with someone who knows what they are doing.
Tell them you need them to send an engineer out to connect your new cable to the supply and meter.

The supplier will not connect SWA (armoured)
straight to the cutout or meter, the will only connect 'tails'
Make sure your electrician has terminated the swa into a switch fuse or such and ran tails for the meter guy to connect to the meter.
Save a wasted visit.
Also stress to the supplier that you have a family without power and do push this. Otherwise you could be waiting two weeks for a visit.

How has the cable been left in the flat?

Better post a pic of how it is presently.
To confirm that you need an electrician first to convert the armour cable to tails first. I would expect him to know that and fit a switch fuse.

Does the one armoured cable do both flats or are there 2

As you can see - a nightmare. in the middle of all this wrangling they forget there are two families living there with children; both without any electricity.

Sounds like the time to get the local MP on side. They have special 'direct access' phone numbers to contact energy suppliers to sort out problems with high priority.

Better post a pic of how it is presently.
To confirm that you need an electrician first to convert the armour cable to tails first. I would expect him to know that and fit a switch fuse.

Does the one armoured cable do both flats or are there 2

Here is a pic of how it is presented now after the electrical contractors fitted the new Armoured cable. I believe there is one cable for each flat

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice.

The suppliers reluctantly attended this morning, however they were extremely helpful and even tried calling the DNO on my behalf.

Please forgive any mistakes I make with the terminology I use! They explained the shop is currently using a 3 phase supply. The flats above were sharing a fuse each (via VIR cable) to supply power to the independent meters for each flat.

They then explained as the DNO had disconnected the VIR cables, the new rules meant they were not allowed to connect the new tails back into the existing fuses - the DNO should have known that when disconnecting. The suppliers said they need independent fuses where they can the connect the tails and that it is the responsibility for the DNO to do this. This was verified by two different suppliers (one for each flat)

Of course the DNO (UKPowerNetworks) are having none of it. You would think there would be mechanism where the DNO's and suppliers could talk to resolve such issues. They keep reiterating its a supplier issue but don't seem to understand they need to supply 'two new cutouts' (is that right?) for the tails to be connected into.

Sounds like the time to get the local MP on side. They have special 'direct access' phone numbers to contact energy suppliers to sort out problems with high priority.

Thanks for the suggestion - someone else I can write to! I have already told the DNO's there are two vulnerable families without power but they dont take any notice. The supplier actually told me its a criminal office to leave vulnerable families without power.

I am dealing the the exact same scenario.

How has the cable been left in the flat?

Thanks for that.

The suppliers said the cables terminating in the flat are fine. Once the tails are connected in the fusehead the flats should have power

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back