Shop premises

Sale going through, so will be in a while. Needs design and PP, etc to convert to flats. Others around have done it, so it is a matter of the layout of the flats and shop in the building. Regs change, so what was acceptable 40 years ago may not be now. Until this is nailed down we really cannot approach the DNO.

It occurred to me that if costs are high, or matters awkward, sub meters can be installed and the tenants pay me. Also the same with heating and hot water. Have one gas boiler, or two with one a backup, and a thermal meter in each flat and they pay me. This is all a last resort, and just options in my mind.

I may want the shop attached to a flat, in that they are recognised as one unit and sold as such in the future. Leases/rental agreements would have to assure access to maintain common equipment and services.

Sponsored Links
The dno MAY run a cable through the cellar as long as it remains accessible and you aren't going to plaster over it etc.

They may.

But the more the OP doesn't get them engaged, and the more he makes decisions based on what he thinks he can mandate to them, the more he risks the wheels coming off this big time.

ban-all-sheds, the more I know about options the better and cheaper job overall I will get when they are involved.
Relying only on their advice, who may push me to only one solution? I prefer to know the options.
The dno will be involved in the planning stage.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Relying only on their advice, who may push me to only one solution? I prefer to know the options.
Option 1: Tell them what you want, see if they will do it.

Option 2: If they won't do #1, ask them what they will do wrt installing a metered supply per flat.

It really doesn't matter what anybody here thinks - ATEOTD your DNO will only do what they are prepared to do, and you can't get a second opinion.

It occurred to me that if costs are high, or matters awkward, sub meters can be installed and the tenants pay me.
That is a can of worms, as you are only permitted to charge the tenants the actual cost of electricity, and have the evidence to confirm that if required.

All this also assumes that the existing supply is adequate for the shop and the new dwellings. If not, there will be large costs regardless of what metering arrangement is used.

Flameport, sub meters are a last resort. It is best all finances for energy is dealt with via the utilities. Electrical sub meters and thermal meters are a last resort.

Yes, best put to them what I want and see their response with an outline plan. Once it is nailed down what they will do, then design in detail around that. Services can dominate a layout design.

This is going back a bit, but a guy I know was pushed into the first thing the man from the Gas Board suggested, because it was easier for him. He went with it of course because the man from the Gas Board 'knew better'. It was ugly gas mains pipes on the front outside of a nice Victorian building. They were the only pipes on the exterior, as he even put the sewer stacks inside. Six months later in a nearby house they got something different in gas metering, of which he would have rather had. That was a gas main run up inside, in the common hallway in a fireproof duct to each flat with the pipes sleeved through suspended floors. Gas meters were inside each flat. So knowing what options are available is helpful.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back