Shop and flat electric split meter issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking at a job at the moment of splitting a shop and flat electrics, what I would like to know is there a meter available that will be capable of producing two readings, one for each board ? or 3 boards if I install a seperate heating board for the flat storage heaters.

The supply is only single phase and they dont want to pay for a seperate supply.

TIA BW

Sponsored Links
The cottage I am renovating was supplied from the meter in the adjacent shop when it was all one property. It was sold without the services having been separated.

First task was to get my own electrical supply into the cottage.

The DNO were extremely helpful with advice on what to do and how to do it at the lowest cost. So my advice is to contact your DNO for the best solution in your situation.

thanks for your reply , can you remember costs involved, the dno told us to fit a sub meter

Sponsored Links
Costs started at £4000 for a new supply trenched under about 15 yards of pavement to a meter inside the front door ( Listed building, meter not permitted on the front wall ). I didn't want that trench due to possible problems with disturbance to the ground supporting the cottage wall.

Moving the new meter location to the rear with self dug trench across my yard to the driveway was £ 3100. The cottage is on a street corner and the cable for the side turning goes under the driveway. New location is external on a part of the building that is not considered to be of historic value, ( extension built in the 1940's )

The DNO surveyor came on site and suggested relocating the planned connection point from under the driveway to under the grass verge at the side of the driveway.

Final cost was just under £ 1000, the relocation from tarmac driveway to grass verge saved me £ 2100 as re-instatement was much simpler and no traffic management was needed.

A sub meter is possible but then there has to be a formal and legal agreement about the re-sale of electricity and maybe access to the supply head should there be a problem. You mention storage heaters, did you mention them to the DNO ? The existing supply cable may not be adequate for supplying both shop and flat if storage heating is being installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back