Ultracom has problems when asked to supply higher output?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem has crept up on me. Glow Worm Ultracom 30CXi installed in 2007. I normally run the boiler ranged down to 12kW for heating and there have been no problems. Recently, when taking a shower, the hot water goes cold, maybe hot again once but then the boiler seems to go into "limp mode", working but at low output, as shown by 1 "flame" in the display.

So, I ranged the boiler back to 24kW and checked the heating by turning the stat up. Initially, the display shows 5 "flames" to indicate maximum output, but then drops back to the limp mode, as above.

At first I thought the problem was a blocked plate heat exchanger but it's not that, as the same fault occurs whilst in heating mode as well as DHW.

As I write this, the boiler is heating fine, ranged back down to 12kW.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
When you range rate the boiler that only has an effect on the Heating side it has no effect on the HW side, does it only happen with the shower ? are the other HW taps fine ?

Yes, the hot water side always has full power available. If I run the bath tap, then the same fault occurs. As I mentioned, the fault is also with heating but only when I set the boiler back to 24kW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back