Unable to refix ballcock float

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to replace the ballcock float in my cold water tank.
I unscrewed the old one.
Drained the tank to half way.
Now I can't refit the new float, or the old one.
Access is restricted, I have to reach over the side and try to screw the float on the arm. But so far, no success.

Any ideas? Should I totally drain the tank?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried leaving it for a while go for a brew and a cig if you smoke then go try it again.
If you can't manage this most simple of tasks them may I respectfully sugest that DIY is not for you!!

Have you tried leaving it for a while go for a brew and a cig if you smoke then go try it again.
If you can't manage this most simple of tasks them may I respectfully sugest that DIY is not for you!!

In this case, access is difficult and I am working blind. That makes a simple job much more difficult.

Sponsored Links
Take the whole ball valve out complete by undoing both the 15mm connector and tank connector.

I think modern floats must use a different thread to the old one.
I went to Homebase and bought a slightly different design of float. I eventually managed to force it on and get it threaded on fast.

5 mins job, took me about 2 hours!

Take the whole ball valve out complete by undoing both the 15mm connector and tank connector.

I think modern floats must use a different thread to the old one.
I went to Homebase and bought a slightly different design of float. I eventually managed to force it on and get it threaded on fast.

5 mins job, took me about 2 hours!

Sometimes the simplest of jobs take take an age. But you persevered. Well done.

If you think access is difficult on a domestic tank, try it on a one inch
ballcock, With a 12 inch float in a tank the size of your spare bedroom.

If you think access is difficult on a domestic tank, try it on a one inch
ballcock, With a 12 inch float in a tank the size of your spare bedroom.

...........good time to put your cosie on :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back