Unable to unlock back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunatly,came downstairs this morning and tried to open the back door.
The key unlocks the door but it seems like the locking mechanism is stuck.
Its a upvc door and frame and you have to pull the handle upwards in order to lock it.
The main spindle which goes through the middle has not rounded off but I just cant seem to pull the handle down any further to unlock and open it.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
your best bet is to slowly force the handle down. If the key has unlocked the door and it is just the mechanism that has stuck, it should open with enough force. They apply lubricant to all moving parts. Have seen this a few times before.

The door IS actually in the door frame and locked.
I can unlock the door using the key,but cannot push the handle down enough to dis-engage all the locks which run along the side of the door.I believe there are 2 "hook" type locks and 3 or 4 "round" type locks which slide up and down when the handle is either pushed up or down.

Sponsored Links
Have just tried to gently force the handle down but its now just turning and nothings happening.
Lump hammer anyone??? :LOL:

Had the exact same problem. I used a hammer to bang down on the handle. It unlocked the door, but left the handle ``floppy``, still able to lock and unlock though.
I would only recommend this as a last resort, as I was told by a builder the only alternative was to cut out the door.

Might be caused by a door that has dropped? Doors are fitted so that they sit squarely within their frame but can sag after time and put pressure on the lock keeps etc. With the door key in the unlocked position hold the handle as if you are trying to lift the door towards the ceiling... lift first then keep lifting and try to open. This can work by reducing the pressure on the hooks etc. Just seen the "now turning" update.. you could remove the handle and try a flat ended screw driver to see if it still turns? ..with the door mechanism side lifted slightly? If so It's a professional repair job as I guess when you free up the door you will want to be able to lock it again that night?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back