Unblocking Scaled Up Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried plunging, and the old coca cola trick. Got rid of some of it but it still keeps blocking every time someone shall we say "gives it a good go". :oops:

I have been told by a colleague that FERNOX DS3 is the stuff to go and that it can be bought in B&Q. ANyone agree with that?

Thanks v much in advance. I REALLY need this sorted as my girlfriend is refusing to stay at my gaf until it is sorted as she gets very embarrassed if she is the one that ends up bunging the thing up!!!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
we did..... but we gave up on them a few years ago once the "novelty" wore off and just used regular loo cleaner. What are you insinuating the problem is then?

that there could be one lodged in the pan connector

now listen carefully and you will hear the faint sound of plumbers all over the country crying

because if thats what it is it's usually a pan out job :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
that there could be one lodged in the pan connector

now listen carefully and you will hear the faint sound of plumbers all over the country crying

because if thats what it is it's usually a pan out job :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I assume you mean the plastic cage itself as opposed to the block itself... However I am pretty sure it is scale as it affects both our loos (they are the same age as we had both bathrooms done in one foul swoop) and I remember chucking the cage thing away myself..... So if it's scale, the FERNOX should zap it? The reason I ask is because on the package it says that this stuff on ceramics is a no no.

kevplumb said:
dosen't say that here :confused:

My bad. Was getting confused between ceramic and enamelled. :oops: Many thanks for your help mate. Will give it a whirl when I get some on the way back tonight.

Limescale isn`t the issue with the pan not clearing :cry: More likely a poor flush/water level in cistern too low/slow filling cistern.

if you go into it with a "drain snake" , which is a long springy thing with the end opened out a bit, you can usually feel if there's something sticking into the flow.
Metal will mark the ceramic though so you need one designed for loos which has a protector.
There's one which is widely available, I thought it was a Monument tool but it's not on their website.

ChrisR said:
if you go into it with a "drain snake" , which is a long springy thing with the end opened out a bit, you can usually feel if there's something sticking into the flow.
Metal will mark the ceramic though so you need one designed for loos which has a protector.
There's one which is widely available, I thought it was a Monument tool but it's not on their website.

Well that was possibly one of the most scummy jobs I have ever had the misfortune of doing. I used the Fernox and watched it fizz away more than a glass of cola does. This must have really loosened up the scale because as soon as I rinsed it all through a few times and plunged a couple of times there was litterally two handfulls of crumbled up scale in the bottom of the pan. Some of the lumps were two inches square and about a quarter inch thick! I thought, ok, sod this, I will get my hand down and see how bad this is. On doing so I could litterally feel that the pipe was half its intended diameter at the point where the scale had broken away. Another acid treatment, more fizzing, plunging and some manual removal by hand and wire coat hanger got the tube much more open. The aforementioned metal marks from the hanger did appear on the bowl but the acid took care of the marks! Thank you all for your help. Hopefully my girlfriend will no longer have the fear of god about staying over now and I can get back to normal relations. ;)

is it mr spax who's got a girlfriend
or is it mrs pax who's got a girlfriend.....which is fine by me ;) ........except "mrs would indicate ur married ? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back