unblocking washing machine outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

How do you clear the outlet/drain hose on a washing machine? Also what about the sewer pipe it connects too? I am not sure where the block is but it stinks. It looks as though the Landord has stuck the outlet pipe into the sewer/white pipe/stand pipe/trap and it is effectively an open pipe. How can I close this as I know it will take ages for him to do.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The stand pipe method of machine drainage is pretty common and completely satisfactory, providing.......that it has a water trap in the form of a 'U' bend before the pipe connects to the main sewer. I guess yours doesn't have this luxury!
John :)

Hello Thank you for the reply.

It looks as though the Stand pipe goes down then into a right angle then goes out towards the drains.

What would you suggest?
I have got some Mr muscles to try and some soda crystals. But what about solving the problem long term?

The solution to your problem is Screwfix 94360.
As the drains smell, they cant be fully blocked......have you tried tipping a kettle full of hot water down the pipe, just to see how well it flows?

Sponsored Links
The solution to your problem is Screwfix 94360.
As the drains smell, they cant be fully blocked......have you tried tipping a kettle full of hot water down the pipe, just to see how well it flows?

Hello that looks good. My only Concern is that the remaining part of the waste pipe currently runs along the floor. Won't the pipe need to be elevated to run higher than the u bend?

Yes it will, and here's a way of doing it.....
With the pipe running along the floor, cut it and add a 90 deg bend upwards. Join that to another 90 deg bend with a short length of 40mm pipe......the length of that pipe governs how high you need the new pipe to be. Another short length of pipe allows a coupling into the Screwfix item.
That gives you the water trap that you need, so no pong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back