Uncommanded temperatures with a Danfoss RT52 room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a Danfoss RT52 hard wired room thermostat. It has a night function which we do not actually use since our CH is usually off between 2130 and 0600. Despite this, I did set the internal clock to the correct time and entered a “set-back” time of 0550 in case we do decide to have it on H24 and use the night mode. (I also set the “Chrono Proportional” jumper to ON.)

However a problem which has emerged is that if during the evening we turn the desired temp down from say 23 to 20°C but then select 23 again before turning in, the next morning at 0550 it changes to a different temp to that which was set, eg., 20°C. ( Often it is the second-to-last temp we selected, but not always.) So it seems to ignore the last commanded temp set late in the evening and either gives a previous one or a random one the next morning. This of course means that if this uncommanded temperature is lower than the ambient, then the heating fails to come on. Alternatively, we have awakened sweltered because it’s gone to a random 25°C.

We sent the unit back to Honeywell who replaced it, but the new one’s doing the same.

I don’t believe the way we've had the stat wired up has any relevance, but just in case, here’s how it was done. ( Incidentally the Danfoss instructions regarding this are not very good.) Our CH system is a sealed, “S”-plan system with one 2port valve near the boiler in our garage and another attached to our immersion tank pipework. The previous stat was fed by flat 3&E, with the blue conductor connected to the CH mains neutral, the red to the time programmer and the yellow to the 2port valve’s motor in the garage.

Inside the RT52, the earth conductor and the neutral (blue) were isolated as per the instruction booklet. Then the red conductor was connected to terminal B(COM) and the yellow to C(N/O).

I’d be grateful if anyone could say firstly whether the connections sound correct. Secondly, have any other people had this weird, random behaviour with a Danfoss RT52. And if so, have you sussed a remedy for it, or am I doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
Does the control actually show this random temperature in the morning?

Many cases like this are because the user is not following the correct procedure for "saving" the selected temperature or not saving it within a certain timescale.

Thinking more widely, do you live in a location where the mains supply may be poor? Country or on a farm or near insustry where machinery could be ading spiled to the mains?

Tony

@Agile
Yes Tony, it does show it. And I'm certain it has something to do with the "set back" time I programmed in, even though we're not using the night mode. So, having set 20 deg yesterday evening then 24 at 9:45pm, I was able to watch it change to 25 deg at exactly 05:50 this morning.

In fact at 06:05 I entered a new set-back time of 06:10, went back to "run" mode and demanded a temp of 18 deg only to watch it jump up to 25 deg again at exactly 06:10, all the while in day mode.

As for setting the thing up, it's as follows : - Press PROG, set actual time.
Press PROG, set the required "Set-back" time. Press PROG to enter RUN mode....and that's all.

We do live in a rural area but I think the electricity is fairly stable as it doesn't tend to give the TV or PC much trouble.

If your background is heating, are you able to say if my connections sound right

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As it does bring on the CH then I expect that it is connected properly.

I cannot discuss the exact programming but this is where the problem will lie.

You make me think that you may not properly understand the setback and night modes.

These things are very difficult to set up and instructions are often not as clear as they should be.

Can you get someone else to reprogram it from the beginning?

Tony

I dont see how the connections can have any effect on your problems.

All they do is turn the boiler on and off.

Its a programming problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back