Under Cabinet LEDs Best brightness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install some LEDs under the kitchen wall cabinets to give a working light on the worktops (ie not just an ambient illumination.) and was looking at some triangular units, 230V direct mains without 12v drivers.
However the wattage seems to vary greatly (as well as the prices) from around 1W to 3.6W. In many cases there is no indication of the lumens emitted.

I would welcome advice on how many lumens or Watts per metre of worktop are required, and any other relevant considerations, please.

Sponsored Links
For a light it is law to show Lumen output, but not for a decoration so no Lumen output then class as a decoration.

The LED chips are set sizes 5050 and 5630 two examples and many units have multi-LED's to get the output required, a white LED will give out around 100 lumen per watt, but the components that reduce the current often also use power so between 25 to 100 lumen per watt, but the lower output is for decoration often 3 led's and a resistor to a 12 volt supply. Once they publish the lumen then starts at 65 lumen per watt and bigger the lamp better lumen per watt.

I personally like the idea of being able to replace the bulb without renewing whole fitting so Some thing like this will take a 6 to 8W LED lamp which can be renewed.

I have used 1.8 watt GU10 LED's but that is about the smallest with reasonable output, did try some 0.58W from Pound World but these were really toys not enough light to be useful. For the 2" spot used with GU10 fittings over 3W tend to need to reflect off white surface.

I have 8W fluorescent lights under my wall units, they never seem to get switched on, so really a waste of time, they work well but wife never uses them same with cooker hood light, never seen it switched on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back