Under Cabinet Lighting - No Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought some under cabinet lighting from Ikea a year or so ago. Its the sort which has a standard 3 pin plug which just goes into a socket.

Anyway, I have recently been thinking about installing a fused switch as a spur off the sockets and then running the lightsdirectly from it, and hiding the cables in the wall etc.

I bought some twin and earth flex ready for the job but after looking at the wiring on the light now, it has no earth just twin. Its a lead with a figure of 8 connector (I think thats the right term) similar to this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60116899 .

So, my question is can I still install it, and if so how? I could obviously buy different lights but would rather use what I have already got if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Stan

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it my guess would be that they are double insulated fittings & as such do not need to be earthed. But I cannot really see what you are going to achieve by connecting to an fcu, you will still see the cable at some point I would have thought. Fitting an fcu in the kitchen is probably notifiable under part p of building regs. so it seems like a lot of bother for not much benefit

They will be class II items, and as such don't require earthing - so don't connect it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

JJ - surely thats the same with most under cabinet lighting isnt it? The cables I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back