Under Cabinet Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done loads of searching but cannot find exactly what I am after, I have 3 12W undercabinet flourcent lights. My plan is a switched fcu off the kitchen ring main (fused down 3 or 5 amp?) from here to a light switch, have the positive connected to com, netural to connector block. From light switch to 3 outlet sockets in radial above the cabinets, Cable from light switch to socket would connect positive to L1 and natural to terminal block. Is this the correrct way of doing it, or is this not allowed.

Cheers

Russ

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about Part P, it doesn't stretch that far North!

Concealed cables should be RCD protected too, if it is coming from a socket circuit then hopefully it will already be.

Don't worry about Part P, it doesn't stretch that far North!

That should be in the FAQ or something. There ain't no Part P in Scotland. However if you live in a flat, it is all notifiable work...

Sponsored Links
There's not much wrong with your idea. Socket outlets designed for lighting need to be identified so they're not used for anything else. Ideally use 2A lighting outlets (the round pin ones) or use a flex outlet plate, for each one.

It's also normal to use a single outlet above the units and then daisy chain the light fittings using link cable.

Also, if practical, you can use the switched FCU as the lightswitch, so you won't need another switch on the wall. Many people prefer a switch by the door, so normally the lighting circuit is used for this rather than the ring.

Your idea will be fine too. You could even use an unswitched FCU if it's any use.

There is info on the buidling warrant system here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics, Although I don't think they'll be getting any awards from the plain english campaign. Scroll to page 8 for a table showing what domestic works should have a building warrant (in this case you need one if you are in a 3-storey house of flat) If your work requires a warrant, some council's require that the work is carried out and/or inspected and tested by a member of SELECT or NICEIC (the only approved contractor schemes in Scotland). The law in regard to electrical work in Scotland is governed by the Scottish building regs. There are 2 technical handbooks available for download (domestic and non-domestic) from the Scottish Building Standards (SBSA) website: http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/tech_handbooks/tbooks2007.htm These give official advice on how to comply with the building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back