Under Cupboard Lighting - Dimmable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, have 3 x t5 fluorescent tubes as under cupboard lighting and am wondering if it is possible to add a dimmer switch to them? At present they are switched on and off using a standard switch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If standard florries they will not be dimmer-able.

You would need to change the whole thing for something that can work with a dimmer. Look at LED technology.

THIS is a typical dimmerable LED under cupbaord light.

You will also need a suitable driver and a compatable dimmer that works with LED lights.

Sponsored Links
TLC do some dimmable LED strip lights, they really are good, had them somtime now as downlights under kitchen cupboards, dim them with RAKO.

cheers

Technically, you can convert fluorescent lights to be dimmable by changing the ballast to a dimmable one.

BUT:

1) The body of the light might not be designed to be opened.

2) You might not find a ballast to fit inside.

3) You can't use a normal dimmer switch.

4) The cost would be much more than the lights are worth.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 5.

5) You'd be bonkers to do it.

A low cost option (just a bit of rewiring) might be to have the lights on two switches, one doing 1 light, the other doing 2. That way you could have 1, 2 or 3 lights on. It wouldn't do much for the evenness of the illumination, but it would provide options for lower overall brightness.

Cheers guys.

ban-all-sheds, the lights can be individually switched off.

I suppose it's either accept my light at the minute or buy a lower wattage lights. The lower wattage are smaller so therefore I will have to buy the full units as opposed to jut purchasing the tubes. Not a biggie and not that expensive.

Having never had under cupboard lightening before I am unsure what is an acceptable level of brightness. Is this something that can be explained or is it just whatever one likes themselves?

If you find the light level acceptable, then it is acceptable. If you don't then it is not.

Agreed, only YOU know what you want to light the work surface for.

Is so you can see to prepare food, or is it just to create some mood lighting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back