Under Floor Adventures - Black Sheeting & Floor Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In the middle of some renovations and turning my attention to under floor insulation for a suspended timber floor. Getting new radiators installed and lifted a few previously hacked up floorboards to make way for plumber accessing pipes and also to explore what's ahead of me for the under floor insulation.
Couple of queries I'm hoping someone can help with. Firstly there appears to have been some sort of black sheeting under the floor (suspect it's all over the area I haven't lifted yet). Looks maybe 1 or 2mm thick, black, at this stage quite hard - almost looks like a thin sheet of hardened tar or something. Assuming it was a DPM put down when the house was built (60s), but anyone know any better and assume it's safe to remove/touch/knock out of the way?
Also had quick question on the floor construction - looks like the floor is sitting on it's own small wall, resting on a timber batten, what looks like separate to the inner leaf wall. Can't see any DPM on the batten resting on the wall but the wood looks fine, no rot or anything is apparent. Pics below - assuming this is was all standard for the time and nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

20210511_123037.jpg
20210511_123051.jpg
20210511_123301.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like roofing felt. I've never seen roofing felt used under floorboards before. I assume to keep out draughts. I can't see any other purpose for it.

Is it safe to remove or if its roofing felt is asbestos a possibility?

I'd agree looking at your pic, roofing felt. I'd remove it, and have before (in a roof) and it was identical to this.

If you can slide DPC under anywhere that wood touches the mortar all the better, that said yours looks dry.

Wear a mask, if you are concerned it may contain asbestos.

Sponsored Links
Roofing felt wasn't something I'd thought about under the floor :) I'm sure there was some logic to it by whoever put it down. Will lift the rest of the floor and see how far it extends!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back