Under Floor Heating Flow Gauges all reading zero

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved to a new house with UnderFloor Heating. I had a problem in that no flow was coming back on the return pipes. I flushed each circuit by attaching a hose pipe to the manifold and this appears to have got the flow moving. However the flow gauges still all read zero? There are six circuits.

I have set each spindle below each actuators to to 2.5 turns anti clockwise in the open position on the return. There is no adjustmet on the actual flow gauges on the supply? The manifold is Watts type 2013 1".
There is also no blending valve or pump attached to the manifold so the boiler is doing all the work. I intend to add a mixing valve/pump and install a new boiler soon. Any help much on why my gauges are all zero would be much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Stuck?

What you have not told us is if there is any flow? i.e. does the return warm up?

Most of the continent does not have these blending valves and second pump and just runs the UFH off the boiler.

But then many EU boilers do have better lower temperature controls specifically because of this use.

Tony

Can you post a photo? Is the flow gauge just a set of needles that move in the flow with a sight glass or something more exotic? (I'm approaching this from a point of view that there really is flow, just that there is a problem with the gauge)

Nozzle

Thanks to you both for quick replies. How do I attach my pics? Sorry I am new to this site?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that's a flow meter? (it does look a bit like a rotameter though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotameter). The scale indicated l/m could just be a sliding scale for a needle valve. Is there any way you can test if the indicator is attached to anything or if it's free to move (as in the rotameter)

Nozzle

Are those photos posted upside down?

Or are the flow indicators really pointing downwards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back