Adjusting UFH Flow Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Solfex UFH system installed by my builder but without any great knowledge (used Solfex design service..) It has three zones, one of which has two loops controlled by the same thermostat and actuators on the return manifold for control. Although the Solfex design defines the flow rate for each loop every flow meter seems to say there is zero flow in every circuit (the top of the 'float' being at the top of the gauge at zero) However the rooms are warm so something is happening! I have tried to adjust the flow by turning the flow meters but from fully clockwise to unscrewed from the manifold (very wet!) there is no change in the indication. The Solfex instruction are poor (just says lift the locking ring and twist the indicator base) and little info on line.. I witnessed the flushing/priming and pressure test of each circuit so I don't believe there is a blockage.. What am I doing wrong!?

Sponsored Links
Make sure the ufh pump is working. You should hear it humming.
Though they can hum and still not pump!

That's when the impellar shaft is not rotating. ie seized.
The summer months when the ufh is off can allow the pump to seize. Thats why the better controls have pump exercising programmes built in.
Screw at the end of the pump can be removed and a flat screwdriver inserted into the hole to engage with the slot in the end of the impellar shaft.

If you get that far try turning it.
If it feels stiff that could be part of the problem.
Or the whole problem.:D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure the flow is in the correct direction?

In many ways UFH is better balanced by measuring the flow and return temperatures. That will ensure the average pipe temperature is the same on each loop.

Of course heating engineers would never recommend anyone having equipment fitted by builders!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back