Under floor heating pump/boiler problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time posting, hoping someone can help.
We have underfloor heating which we haven't used most of the time we have lived in our flat (nearly 15yrs) due to keeping costs down but also we had faulty thermostats that we couldn't afford to replace, we are now selling and I wanted to make sure everything was working fine to sell so I got an electrician round a few months back to fit 2 new thermostats but UF heating still wasn't working.
I got a plumber round who basically hit the pump with a hammer to get it working, the heating works now but ever since, our boiler fires up practically every 30 minutes stays on for a couple of minutes and turns off again. Sometimes when it fires up it is quiet, but sometimes it is quite loud. It has a code of C and the burner light is constantly flashing.
This is concerning me as the boiler is 15 years old so I am worried it might be damaging it coming on and off so frequently and also possible increase in the gas bill.
I have been told this is happening because the pump is on the way out?
Does this sound right does anyone know?
Is there a way I can turn the pump off as we still don't use the under floor heating and as we will be moving in the next few months don't want to spend out on replacing parts unless I have to or will the only way to stop the boiler keep coming on and off be to replace the pump?

Reluctant to get a plumber round as the 1st plumber charged me £60 to hit it with a hammer, heating still wasn't working so 2nd plumber I got round got it working (the caps on the pipes for each room weren't on correctly) but was then another £80 and a third guy I got round to check on this problem with boiler recently didn't seem bothered and said it's probably the pump and left!
I keep googling it but can't find any solutions!
Thanks

Attachments

• pump.png
    pump.png
    446.6 KB · Views: 49
  • pump2.png
    pump2.png
    525.1 KB · Views: 45
  • boiler.png
    boiler.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
The C on the boiler simply means that heating is called for, you would be well advised to get it sorted before you sell or you will get hit with a much larger bill when the buyer has to get it repaired at your expense

thanks- does it sound like a new pump would fix this, or would it be something else?
Seems a huge coincidence that it started happening since the pump got hit to start working again (although I did test the strength of the pump and the part I was told to put a screwdriver against was spinning strongly)

could be a few things, not enough information to go on Im afraid

Sponsored Links
ok no problem, what other information is required? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back