heating problem pump???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help :)x before i blow a gasket :mad:) . When i turn my central heating on it runs for appx 10 minutes, then turns off without the rad's getting warm at all. On watching the pump upstairs, I have noticed that the pump stops working after appx 8 minutes then the boiler stops working. If i try to restart it, it dosent start straight away, but if i leave it about 15 minutes then restart it, the boiler lights but the pump dosent start so the boiler shuts off after appx 5 minutes. I have replaced the thermister and the PCB, but its still the same. I have tried calling plumbers in my area but they cannot come for a few weeks and i am freezing my feet off here!

:( :( :( PLEASE HELP :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a possible airlock in your primary somewhere. Have you done any work involving a drain down in recent days ?

No, ive not done any drain work, But the heater was last used in march.
Thanks for your fast reply though

Sponsored Links
You may still have air in your system though. Have you a bleed valve near your pump ? If so, open it up to see whether any air comes out. Also, the bleed screw in the pump ( if a grundfos, the chrome slotted screw ) could be given a go as well.

Thanks for both of your help, a plumber over the phone has just told me to put a circuit tester on the pump and turn the heating on, which i did, the pump ran for appx 5 minutes then stopped, but i was still getting power at the pump, yet it wasnt working. Does this confirm the pump is broken?

Thanks again for your replies

Sounds like it's the pump failing to me, I have seen this a couple of times (both Grundfos 15/60 models) were the pump stops after running for a few minutes then after it cools down it starts again, check to see if the power is still supplied to the pump when it stops.

When the pump runs, does it run smoothly, or is it grinding or making any noises ?

Doesn't seem like a pump issue, although I may be wrong :confused: always hard to diagnose by description :D

Simple if system is full of water and the pump stops and you are still getting 240v at it and its not running then it needs a new pump

how would the OP know if the pump had 240 volts going to it for sure - the terminal block also has L from the boiler in it which could be giving a false reading?..

how would it give a false reading ?
if theirs live at the pump and it fails to turn.

i mean if the OP takes the reading with the boiler live also in the terminal. as the pump will give a live reading but may not be actually live at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back