heating problem pump???

Sponsored Links
yes i know, it probably means it has burnt out, impellor/roto seized

i was just asking what the best way was to be sure the pump wasn't getting 240v.

Sponsored Links
yes i know, using a multi on ac voltage! i meant what terminal to touch to test to be 100% sure :)

haha yh true. to answer the q tho, i'd personally remove the L N and EARTH wires from their respective terminal blocks, put them in separate terminal blocks and test between L and N and L and E to make sure the pump was def. ok.

WTF are you on about . Just take the cover off the pump and check for voltage in there, cant get any simpler

yeah i guess its simpest way :oops: not that i've ever done this before!

I really dont think that you are competent to test mains voltages safely!

For your own safety the only test I would suggest you ever consider using is a contactless proximity device like a voltstick™.

Unfortunately such a simple device cannot often give a very useful reading as many boilers switch the neutral.

Tony

I have safely used my multi meter when testing continuity, resistance and voltage over the years on various CH/HW components, such as a faulty room stat, faulty immersion heater and for fuses, etc.

Is there any course(s) that I could go on that you recommend that I can learn more about how to use a multimeter more safely then ?

I have seen some fairly basic but very well written booklets at Maplins but I cannot remember the titles.

Like most things and particularly where safety is important, practical experience under the guidance of an experienced person is always best although some people are able to learn very well from books.

Someone else may have some other sugestions.

Tony

i tested the pump by taking the cover off and using a multi meter the pump did stop working when it was hot and it still had a live going to it,i replaced the pump today 31/10/08 and its working ive got heat in my house, no more sleeping around the fridge keeping warm :LOL: .....would like to say thankyou to all of you who helped thanks guys and gals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back