Under floor insulation for a swimming pool

mbp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am gathering information prior to building a swimming pool and wanted to know if anyone has any views with regard to insulating under the floor of the pool.

The walls will be constructed using Quad-Lock which will give an R-value of up to 40 which is great but I will still loose heat through the floor.

Two questions:

1) If I use Dow Board (Styrofoam, FloorMate) will I suffer a cracking of the surface or edges due to compression if I screed over it ?

2) The pool is effectively a tank so could I construct the tank on a bed of styrofoam which is tied down to a foundation slab using rebar hooks?

The pool will be about 1.80 deep so the walls will stand about 2 meters from the foundation.

If anyone has any thought or suggestions I would be very happy to know them.

Thanks
Matthew

Sponsored Links
Hi, As a bricky, I didn't get too involved in this kind of thing, but I worked mostly in Kensington and Chelsea, and a lot of the jobs had pools in the new basements we were putting in, (or gyms or full size squash courts etc. or all three.)
I never saw any insulation going in under the slab, and I should think the weight loading of a full pool would be an issue. (a pint of water weighs a pound and a quater)
I suggest you investigate insulation on the inner surface of the pool.

I've worked on a few pools, never used insulation beneaht the floors or the walls. You're better off investing in a decent cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back