under floor or rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys im going to raise the floor in our kitchen extension as to meet the level of the house as we are going to remove the wall to make it open plan ,dilema i have is do i use a radiator up to 1600 lg or put some plastic pipe in the floor or get a myson kickspace heater .The floor siize is 5.5m x 2.4 and is to be raised 140mm and i was going to use 75 mm polystyrene and a 65mm screed if that would work ,what do you think please.any opinons welcome

Sponsored Links
If it's just for the kitchen, then UFH is not a bad idea. If you are comfortable doing this, know the specs and equipment needed for it, then go for it !! It can be straightforward, if you know what you're doing :)

hi it is just the kitchen ,and i have flow and return pipes in perfect place ,is it a special pipe or is standard plastic 15mm pipe ok to use and i dont suppose you now how many metres of pipe needed for the job

depends on how much you wanna pay really?if your system can cope with pumping the underfloor and not starve the rest of your system, underfloor can be pricey! i personally would stick a rad in there but its personal choice

Sponsored Links
Underfloor heating is the better solution in every respect (until it leaks!), but as you can see it's more expensive. Do make sure it is properly fitted to work with the rest of your system.

These are good for a small room system <15M2 & your existing circulation pump should handle the extra load;

http://www.pulsardirect.co.uk/plumbing-supplies/addtocart.asp?ProductCatId=274&ProductSubId=6

Just buy a coil of 100M x 15mm JG pipe, fix it to your insulation at 150-200mm centres, connect to the above valve & no pipes below the kitchen units....................Job done!!!

Advice & design service charge is a 'pony' in the next kids charity box you come across......... ;)

The link was an example for the OP, Delta. As for your opinion that UFH is the mutts nuts, I personally think the heat it emits, especially if you are sitting down for a long period, is oppressive. But thats just my opinion ;)

The link was an example for the OP, Delta. As for your opinion that UFH is the mutts nuts, I personally think the heat it emits, especially if you are sitting down for a long period, is oppressive. But thats just my opinion ;)

Oppressive eh, well!!

Seriously, the chances are the system was designed wrong or had limited controls. Radiant heat is different granted, for example 17 feels like 21*C and there's very little air movement in a room with UFH. Convection heat(radiators) heats the ceiling before you & there's loads of air currents going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back