under floor ventilation through stone wallwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are hoping to buy a house with stone rubble walls built c1800. One room has a wooden floor and the surveyor has, rightly, said we need to install floor ventilation. My problem is how can this be put in? The only information I have found points to this being very difficult. If I am to deal with builders it will be useful to have some idea as to what they should be doing or even they could do.

The room can only have ventilation on one side, an outer wall, as the other sides have solid floors I place. Is there any guidance as to ventilation areas ? The house is south facing and on a hill.

Sponsored Links
Be prepared for them to suggest that the floor should be removed and solid floor put down to match the others :!:

Not easy.One way depending on the thickness of the walls is to drill a series of holes around 12mm neatly to correspond with a normal 150x225 airbrick approx 2.25 metres apart. If you want you can cover the holes with a surface vent
You could also fit some surface hit and miss vents internally in the floorboards adjacent to the skirting boards. The only problem with this is if you have fitted carpets you will have to cut the carpet accordingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back