Under sink leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I have recently moved into a new house and found a leak under the sink. I have attached a picture of the problem. The smaller pipe on the right sticking up on a diagonal is 'open' and water just comes out when draining the sink. Is there a product I can stick on there to block it up? Anything in Screwfix as I'm heading there in the morning?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180728_183143.jpg
    20180728_183143.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Found them, I'll pick one up tomorrow. I guess that I have to unscrew the bit that is there and replace with the cap/plug.

Could that have been where the waste for a washing machine was connected?

Thanks

yes, for a w/m or a d/w. its called a spigot. keep it you might future need it.
take the old nut and spigot in to the suppliers with you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. This is what I got:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-t23u-multifit-blanking-plug-white-40mm/96079

Any advice re. fitting? I cannot for the life of me work it out. The threaded outer ring is the same size as the one there and screws on fine, but the inside 'cap' bit is the same size as the pipe and doesn't fit to the pipe in anyway. If I screw them together there is no way to connect to the pipe? I can't find any videos online showing how to fit this. Any advice is appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Welcome to the world of plumbing fittings. Parts from the same manufacturer don't always match, for example yesterday I bought 40mm waste pipe and a 40mm socket type blanking plug, both flo-past. Neither measured 40mm and the one wouldn't fit in the other. A trip to an independent plumber merchant's resolved the problem with a correctly sized 40mm pipe. He said that 40mm (and 32mm) pipes come in different sizes.

Blup

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I would have done the silicone but I will be wanting to re-attach to the spigot in the coming months. I have ordered the plug/trap from eBay, Madrab.
Thanks all

Welcome to the world of plumbing fittings. Parts from the same manufacturer don't always match, for example yesterday I bought 40mm waste pipe and a 40mm socket type blanking plug, both flo-past. Neither measured 40mm and the one wouldn't fit in the other. A trip to an independent plumber merchant's resolved the problem with a correctly sized 40mm pipe. He said that 40mm (and 32mm) pipes come in different sizes.

Blup

How bizarre. I am happy to have a go at most things but plumbing is one thing i dislike. I get frustrated by all the water I think...

Back nuts and back nut spanners are another.

Blup

Last time I had this problem I simply unscrewed the spigot and fitted a leather disk underneath cut fro a bit of scrap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back