Under stairs floor screeding advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had someone knock out a wall under the stairs so I can build some large pull out draws to access the space. Previously there was just one small door, and old vinyl over the whole the floor. I just lifted the vinyl up and found the floor seems to be a mix of bricks, cement and old tiles, laid directly on the ground.

The rest of the house (1850 Scottish) is suspended timber flooring with between 20cm and 40cm clearance, but oddly not this bit. There's no damp issues, and I assume it's been like this for a long time!

I'm wondering if I should screed it (if so, can it just go over the bricks/tiles), or whether I should just leave it as it is, and build a wooden frame in there over the bricks to hold the draw runners. One the draws are in, no one will see the floor

Ideas appreciated

Attachments

• floor1.jpg
    floor1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 40
  • floor2.jpg
    floor2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 37
  • floor3.jpg
    floor3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 35
  • floor4.jpg
    floor4.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
It’s dry because it looks airy and clear. closing it off with drawers etc could encourage damp as you’ll be taking the circulation of air away. regardless of what you do with the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back