Under stairs toilet, no space for fan extraction!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just converting the tiny utility room under the stairs for a small downstairs toilet but no space to fit a extractor fan as there is no outside wall that for extraction.

The builder, who is a plumber has no idea how do it. I looked on the internet and read people using flexible ducting with a shower type fan, is that how you normally do it.

Sponsored Links
With ducting and a suitably high performance fan ANYTHING is possible, if you want that space to be a WC you will have to! ;)

With ducting and a suitably high performance fan ANYTHING is possible, if you want that space to be a WC you will have to! ;)

Thanks for the reply.

How do you do it, that's the question.

It's a terraced house, so can't expel air near the wall and has no windows.

The builder has a dug long path for the soil pipe to join the main drain in the garden. What sort of ducting is suitable, flexible or rigid for long term use.

How would you get building regs approval without ventilation?

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake. Lots of ducting available to go on the wall, under the floor, in the floor void above etc.
You'll need a centifugal pump to get enough pressure but they're common.

Google it - eg http://www.bes.co.uk/products/180.asp

You need the right m³/hr so make sure there's somewhere for the air to get IN to replace what's going out or nothing will move. Vent in the door is the usual.

or just fit the wc and hope the ventilation police don't come knocking after receiving complaints from occupants of your own home are complaining about digested food which every human carrys around inside them complaining that it smells? :D

Just converting the tiny utility room under the stairs for a small downstairs toilet but no space to fit a extractor fan as there is no outside wall that for extraction.

The builder, who is a plumber has no idea how do it. I looked on the internet and read people using flexible ducting with a shower type fan, is that how you normally do it.
Just get a fan and stick it on the wall - no electric/duct nothing - they do it with burglar alarms :mrgreen: There is no`wt like a bit of kid- ology

Piece of cake. Lots of ducting available to go on the wall, under the floor, in the floor void above etc.
You'll need a centifugal pump to get enough pressure but they're common.

Google it - eg http://www.bes.co.uk/products/180.asp

You need the right m³/hr so make sure there's somewhere for the air to get IN to replace what's going out or nothing will move. Vent in the door is the usual.

My builder has now started work on our downstairs toilet. He has bought 4" round pipes that he is going to duct through our floorboards and exit beside the front door.

What type of extractor fan would be suitable, preferably from screwfix
website.

You mentioned earlier about centifugal pump, to get enough pressure, so we'll look at screw fix, as I want it now.

Vent in the door, the builder has not mentioned it. Does it mean that he has cut the door, which is newly fitted by him, to allow air inside the toilet? I'll ask him cut from below and leave a half an inch, to for air to enter, instead of fitting those ugly fixed vents in the new door.

I'm worried about draft entering from 4" exit hole that he cut out.

I'm stuck as I hired this foreign builder who speak little english and probably has now knowledge about extraction in confined space!

He has fitted the extractor fan with the light switch, so if anyone goes for a pee or brush his/her teeth the bloody fan comes on, is there a simpler way of having separate switch for fan and light, however he has done the wall tiling, so wonder if it's too late!

I like to separate switch for our downstairs toilet for fan and light, as he hasn't done wiring yet and not tiled it.

He has fitted the extractor fan with the light switch, so if anyone goes for a pee or brush his/her teeth the bloody fan comes on, is there a simpler way of having separate switch for fan and light, however he has done the wall tiling, so wonder if it's too late!

I like to separate switch for our downstairs toilet for fan and light, as he hasn't done wiring yet and not tiled it.

Given the room has no opening window, it is a requirement that the fan comes on with the light for building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back