Under the bathroom floorboards - copper pipes with blue corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just removed a non load bearing wall between my toilet and shower room in my 70's bungalow.

Looking to reroute some of the pipes to relocate the sink and when looking under the floorboards I noticed that the pipes run around the perimeter of the room and when passing the soil pipe area the builders seem to have simply dumped all sorts over them. Bricks, morter, wood etc. I noticed a lot of blue powder so tried to expose the pipes a bit and noticed they are covered in it.

xhijT88.jpg

I assume this is the coper corroding? Is it a case of cleaning them up and seeing condition of is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Yes, looks like copper. You shouldn't have copper pipe touching mortar/cement, as over time it can rot it.
Should be insulated or wrapping in Denso Tape (think that's what it's called)

I'm no plumber but some will be along to tell you what's what.

Don't know if you have anything leaking from above, looks like mess you get when someone doesn't aim straight. Normal cement won't affect copper.

The soil pipe may also been leaking. Mortar is often smudged round clay drains in a futile attempt to repair them.

Clay is inclined to crack.

Sponsored Links
As said above, that copper is corroding because it hasn't been protected from mortar etc.
I would renew it.

Lime based mortar/cements and copper don't mix, the lime will quite happily eat copper. Most mortars/cements, apart from 1 type (External grade portland) contain at least some lime.

If that is standard internal mortar/cement and quite old then chances are it will contain lime to some degree.

It also depends on the water content. Where I live, clean water leaves green stain. Blue corrosion indicates the presence of sulphur (e.g. sewage or plaster)

Lime based mortar/cements and copper don't mix, the lime will quite happily eat copper
It's sulphur which causes problems. Screened/crushed limestone can be used as a backfill to protect copper against corrosion.

There is nothing in normal portland cement which will eat copper at all.

There is nothing in normal portland cement which will eat copper at all.
Your right but most cements/mortar that are used in the UK aren't purely portland cement, most are a mix of portland and lime. I also believe a lot of plasters, especially older plasters had a high lime content

It is well known that lime eats copper

Your right but most cements/mortar that are used in the UK aren't purely portland cement, most are a mix of portland and lime. I also believe a lot of plasters, especially older plasters had a high lime content

It is well known that lime eats copper

That link is for specific manufacturer not run of the mill use.

Portland cement does not contain lime and most mortar mixes for general use are only cement/sand, no lime.

"A screened soil/pulverized limestone mixture is recommended as a selective backfill for copper tube to help eliminate corrosion concerns."

That link is for specific manufacturer not run of the mill use.

Portland cement does not contain lime and most mortar mixes for general use are only cement/sand, no lime.
Have to disagree - Here is a perfect example of a general 'run of the mill' use mortar available in all the big sheds, check out it's technical spec, cement (portland)/lime/sand etc

As far as lime and copper is concerned then I believe it a chemical process that lime (not limestone) and it's components can corrode copper, especially if damp until it has a coating (scale), that then shields the copper from further corrosion, like any corrosion will.

edited for bad grammer

Last edited:
How much lime will cause harm? Sulphur and chlorides are the worst.

"Copper is generally immune from attack by caustic alkalis and not affected by contact with lime or calcium hydroxide."

Does limescale not corrode copper?
Limescale, land contaminated with lime, lime plasticiser, all different things really. Mortar sets hard and any plasticiser sets with it. Once hard it isn't going anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back