Under unit lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Ban All Sheds feels that it is acceptable for companies to incorrectly label some electronic items.
Whether I think it acceptable or not, I recognise what the reality is, and I do not labour under the delusion that if I pretend it is otherwise then somehow that will magically change it.

Nor do I misleadingly tell people that they don't want something suitable because I don't like the name.

Connecting a driver ( constant current ) to a length of LED strip ( 12 volt DC ) may result in the destruction of the strip because the driver will attempt to drive ( force ) a fixed current through the LEDs. This could result in the voltage put onto the strip being much higher that the rated 12 volt. This higher voltage may damage if not destroy the strip.
But a constant voltage one will be fine.

Looks like this manufacturer labelled the product correctly,

correct-label-on-led-driver-jpg.125684

Sponsored Links
But a constant voltage one will be fine.

Which is what I had already said

It requires a 12 volt DC constant voltage power supply,. ( or 9 volts at which voltage the strip is still very bright but has a longer life )

=======================================================
All:
How about someone writing an objective (free of opinions), straighforward FAQ on Power Supplies for LEDs & incandescents, of the common types?
Cover Voltage, AC, DC, "Low" voltage, Linear, Switched mode, constant current, non-dimmable, dimmable by current/voltage/PWM. Say what you're likely to get if you buy a Transformer, or an Electronic Transformer, or a Driver. Cover what happens if you have it wrong, eg flicker, failures, etc.
It would need to cover what things are actually called, even if it's "wrong". Boilers don't boil water, but we manage.
Suggest use of numbers eg FAQ: Supply type #3 etc.

See your handiwork enshrined in the annals of DIYNOT.
(Yes I meant 2 "n"s).
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is what I had already said
Actually what you said here was (with my emphasis):
It requires a 12 volt DC constant voltage power supply,. ( or 9 volts at which voltage the strip is still very bright but has a longer life )

You do NOT want an LED driver
But as we can see, there are things called constant voltage LED drivers. There really are.

All:
How about someone writing an objective (free of opinions), straighforward FAQ on Power Supplies for LEDs & incandescents, of the common types?
Cover Voltage, AC, DC, "Low" voltage, Linear, Switched mode, constant current, non-dimmable, dimmable by current/voltage/PWM. Say what you're likely to get if you buy a Transformer, or an Electronic Transformer, or a Driver. Cover what happens if you have it wrong, eg flicker, failures, etc.
It would need to cover what things are actually called, even if it's "wrong". Boilers don't boil water, but we manage.
Suggest use of numbers eg FAQ: Supply type #3 etc.

See your handiwork enshrined in the annals of DIYNOT.
(Yes I meant 2 "n"s).
Mod
That's going to require certain people to accept the existence of constant voltage LED drivers, electronic transformers, and so on, and to commit to not editing the Wiki page to reflect their idea of what reality should be (unlike what has happened to the Wikipedia page on switch-mode power supplies in the past).

Actually what you said here was (with my emphasis):
But as we can see, there are things called constant voltage LED drivers. There really are.

There are things INCORRECTLY called constant voltage LED drivers. There really are.

But that does not mean that that is what they are.

Likewise there are things INCORRECTLY called electronic transformers. But that also does not mean that that is what they are.

Sponsored Links
What an excellent idea from the moderators, could make this thread one of the most valuable threads to mention power transformation of all time!

There are things INCORRECTLY called constant voltage LED drivers. There really are.

But that does not mean that that is what they are.

Likewise there are things INCORRECTLY called electronic transformers. But that also does not mean that that is what they are.
Mods - I rest my case.

I for one an not prepared to contribute one word to your suggested Wiki article because you will not shut Winston down.

Mods - I rest my case.

Please rest your keyboard.

Maybe you could explain why connecting a module labelled as being a "700 mA LED driver" led to the destruction of 15 modules of LED strip lighting.

A very embarrassing "design" error.

More information :- when connected to a 12 volt battery for testing prior to being installed the 15 modules took approx 450 mA.

It is an LED driver, and the current the modules required was less then the 700 mA rating of the driver.

700 mA LED driver means just that. 700mA constant current forced through modules that required 450mA is going to lead to destruction.

View attachment 143948

The name suggests you could eat the dog in the car. Would you ?
That is precisely the point - because of that, is one name wrong?

You are arguing that a manufacturer named driver is not a driver (and Winston, a transformer is not a transformer) because it does not meet your definition of what a driver is; not to mention a man controlling a car or a golf club.

Nevertheless, if that is what it is called then that is what it is.

because it does not meet your definition of what a driver is;

It does not meet the defination of a driver that was used by reputable companies who were the leaders in the use of LED elements as the light source for lighting applications as opposed to the use of LED elements in indicator lamps and dot matrix information displays.

Maybe you could explain why connecting a module labelled as being a "700 mA LED driver" led to the destruction of 15 modules of LED strip lighting.

A very embarrassing "design" error.

More information :- when connected to a 12 volt battery for testing prior to being installed the 15 modules took approx 450 mA.

It is an LED driver, and the current the modules required was less then the 700 mA rating of the driver.
Maybe you could explain why that is any different than connecting a 24V battery for testing would have been.

700 mA LED driver means just that. 700mA constant current forced through modules that required 450mA is going to lead to destruction.
So would connecting them to a 24V, or 230V supply. Oh look - doing something inappropriate causes damage.

If I tried to soften some butter by putting it on full power in a microwave for an hour, it wouldn't do it much good. Oh look - doing something inappropriate causes damage.

If I put diesel rather than petrol into my car, and start it, it will **** the engine. Oh look - doing something inappropriate causes damage.

I was hoping BAS would come up with the answer.
The answer which you don't want to hear, and will therefore ignore, is that using the wrong type of supply causes damage. That damage is not caused by the name of the product - so determined are you to muddy the waters because you think (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha) that it makes you right that you didn't even notice that in your example the supply was what you insist is correctly named.

The other answer is that until the site shuts you and Winston down no article such as requested will be safe from pathetic vandalism because you will not leave the issue alone.

It does not meet the defination of a driver that was used ...
Was, Bernard, was.

That means in the past, Bernard.

It means not now, Bernard.

Things have changed, Bernard.

Leave it alone, Bernard.

And stop giving false information to people looking for help as part of your doomed campaign for nomenclatural purity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back